Women to testify against Greer on Aug. 24

greer

Former Central Michigan University defensive back Brandon Greer appears in court on Aug. 19.

Women who filed reports against Brandon Greer will testify at 9 a.m. on Aug. 24. 

The former Central Michigan University defensive back appeared in court today on charges of unlawful imprisonment, criminal sexual conduct in the second degree and assault with intent to commit penetration. Greer is also charged with lying to a police officer. 

At his first preliminary exam, the judge did not find probable cause for the charges based on the body of evidence, so Greer's felony charges were dismissed. He was re-charged with three felonies on Aug. 4 after more women came forward saying they had been approached by Greer.

During today's exam, Greer's attorney, Tom Hausmann, filed a motion to dismiss several victims' testimonies, saying they do not pertain directly to the case and are only being brought up as character evidence, or to make Greer look like a bad person. He said one of the witnesses did not identify Greer in a photo lineup, but is included on the police report as one of Greer's victims. Some of the alleged victims were already predisposed to look for a black man in a silver car, he said.

"The prosecutor is trying to paint Brandon Greer as someone who went around town, harassing women and trying to rape them," he said. 

The incidents date back to 2012 and took place in various locations around Mount Pleasant. 

Isabella County Prosecutor Risa Hunt-Scully said she is using all testimony to show the "sexualized intent" Greer used with the women, to show he had motive to penetrate the first victim, who, according to court documents, said she didn't think Greer was going to sexually assault her. 

Greer is housed at the Isabella County Jail, where he has remained since his arrest on July 8. 

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →