Changes announced for Tailgate Village this season

tailgatevillagelogo

There will be a slightly different atmosphere outside Kelly/Shorts Stadium during the hours leading up to Central Michigan University football games this fall.

CMU Athletic Communications announced changes to the Fabiano Brothers Tailgate Village, set this year to be located near Rose pond north of Lot 62 adjacent to the stadium. 

The village will feature a series of concerts and an open area where beer will be sold for attendees aged 21-and-over. Michigan-based bands, will begin playing three hours before kickoff.

Performances include Gunnar & The Grizzly Boys (Sept. 3), Joe Hertler and the Rainbow Seekers with opening act Forest and the Evergreens (Sept. 12) and Jedi Mind Trip (Oct. 3).

Mike Dabbs, associate athletics director of marketing and ticketing, said the Athletics Department had several conversations with various on-campus departments to gain permission and hash out the logistical details of the village's upgrades. 

"We wanted to get a feel for how it would be received on campus," Dabbs said. "It was mostly our security teams and campus administration (involved in those talks)." 

IMG College, the department's independent marketing agency, has reached out to local business for food vending opportunities at the event, but Dabbs said he is not sure who those business will be. 

Packages for private tailgates are $41 per person and include food, tent, tables, chairs, parking and a game ticket.

The goal is to have a perimeter of private tailgates surrounding the enclosed tailgate village area, where traditional tailgating games such as cornhole will be played. 

"(We would like to) have a couple hundred people roll though there between what we have to offer," Dabbs said. "We really wanted to make this an extension of our entertainment before games and provide fans another avenue to enjoy themselves before a game." 

At least 20 patrons are required for large groups to each event, which will be shut down at kickoff. All ages are welcome to attend. 

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →