Nash Strong: Deceased football player an inspiration for 2015 team

dsc_3258

Derrick Nash is interviewed by ESPN during the 2014 Popeyes Bahamas Bowl.  

A year ago, “Nash Strong” was just a Twitter hashtag. Today, it’s a way of life.

The phrase was adopted after the late Derrick Nash, a cornerback on the Central Michigan football team who died in June at the age of 20 after a long battle with cancer. The loss of Nash was particularly difficult for senior cornerback Stefon Armstead, who described him as a “little brother.”

“It was a tough loss,” Armstead said. “Derrick was very close to me. I was very close to him. We gravitated to each other. He was a great guy.”

Nash’s death marked the final chapter of a story that began during his senior year of high school. He prepped at Carrollton High School, right outside of Saginaw, and led the Cavaliers to the playoffs in both his junior and senior seasons. Nash was first in the state in rushing his senior year with 1,967 yards and 28 touchdowns.

He caught the attention of then-CMU Head Coach Dan Enos, who eventually landed a commitment from the running back.

On his visit to CMU, Nash was mentored by former running back Zurlon Tipton, now playing for the Indianapolis Colts. It was that visit where Nash formed a strong bond with senior safety Kavon Frazier, a bond that would never be broken.

“I try to perfect every single play because when (Nash) was here, he was encouraging me to be perfect on the field, instead of mediocre,” Frazier said.

Before his senior prom, Nash became ill. Doctors diagnosed him with acute lymphoblastic leukemia.

He did not attend his senior prom. The disease would also keep him from suiting up for the Chippewas in the 2013 season.

Nash battled, as he always did. The cancer retreated, and he was finally able to dig his cleats into the turf of Kelly/Shorts Stadium in the 2014 Spring Game after he converted from running back to cornerback.

Armstead remembers that day, seeing Nash’s cheerful smile under his helmet.

“In the spring game he gave up a play and he got real down on himself,” Armstead said. “He ran off the field, looked at me and he said ‘Stef, man, I gave it up.’ I said, ‘It’s alright. It’s cool. Just settle down.’ He laughed it off and got back out there and kept making plays.

“Derrick was real hard on himself. He always wanted to do his best. What I noticed about Derrick is that he had a great spirit. He had a great heart.”

The cancer returned in the summer of 2014, bowing him out for another season. He did not make an appearance on the field, but was present on the sidelines for an unforgettable Christmas Eve bowl game as an honorary captain.

The Chippewas were trailing Western Kentucky University 49-14 in the third quarter in the Popeyes Bahamas Bowl. Nash was interviewed by ESPN and his spirit was introduced to those who watched.

“At halftime, we came together and kind of figured that Derrick was here for a reason,” Armstead said. “We couldn’t leave the Bahamas with that type of loss. Derrick got us fired up and we gave it all we had.”

After that, the Chippewas battled for Nash and nearly completed the comeback, losing 49-48.

Armstead believes “Nash Strong” was present that day.

“I most definitely think Derrick was the inspiration behind that comeback,” Armstead said.

After feeling good in the Bahamas, Nash’s condition worsened. His condition deteriorated and he passed away on a Monday afternoon, surrounded by his friends and family.

“It was very hard,” Armstead said. “My dad has cancer. I already knew what Derrick was going through. When he beat it the first time it was exciting, but when it came back I told him he could beat it again. Unfortunately he didn’t. It was very hard for me.”

Sophomore cornerback Josh Cox remembers a specific practice at the Indoor Athletic Complex when Nash was still a running back. He said Nash bragged that he never fumbled the football. Cox came up from safety and made Nash lose control of the ball.

“He wouldn’t talk to me for like two weeks and gave me that Derrick look,” Cox said. “He was just a freak athlete. He was one of the craziest athletes I have ever seen, especially with the condition he was in.

“It’s just sad to see him go.”

The defensive backs were closer to Nash than the rest of the team, working with him in drills and then making hospital visits on weekends. Armstead remembers his work ethic on the field.

“He was a very hard worker,” Armstead said. “Every time I tried to get him onto the field to do work, he was always down for anything.”

Nash not only made an impact on his fellow corners, but on the entire team as well.

“When we all saw him on the sideline we could see the condition he was in,” Cox said. “He sort of led by example. When we saw how hard he was fighting for us to be here, we tried that much harder to put a smile on his face.”

Nash also inspired Head Coach John Bonamego, who announced he was diagnosed with tonsillar cancer on June 18, four days before Nash’s passing. After his diagnosis, Bonamego said if he had "half the fight that (Nash) does, I’m going to move out of this easily.”

Armstead said Bonamego and Nash’s battles with cancer have inspired the team.

“I would say the passion that the players have showed, the aggressiveness and the intensity out here on the football field is inspired by the loss of Derrick and Coach Bonamego’s situation,” he said.

The team came together for Nash’s funeral in Saginaw, which Armstead called “amazing” and said it brought a lot of his teammates closer together.

The team will honor Nash this season in a variety of ways. They plan to wear a No. 21 sticker on the back of their helmets. Cox stated that the defense will put a sticker on the wall for every turnover this season, and they hope to get 21 or more.

A mural has been painted on the locker room wall with his number, 21, created with footballs. A picture of Nash next to the quote: “Twice as nice, smooth as ice, never had a bad day in my life.” Also featured is Nash’s name, his No. 21, “#NashStrong” and “Never Forget!”

The team also plans to pass the No. 21 jersey amongst the team for player performance. Nash’s mother chose Armstead to don the number in the opening game against Oklahoma State. Cox and Frazier also expressed desire to wear the jersey and to honor their fellow defensive back and friend.

“It would be a great honor to wear that number 21,” Frazier said.

The team understands that Nash is no longer here, but he will never be forgotten. Armstead said he will always have his memories of Nash, a man he “gravitated” toward.

“He had a great attitude and was very humble,” Armstead said. “He was always eager to work. When he first got here, he was eager to talk to everybody. “He’s had a great impact on me.”

Cox will always remember what Nash Strong means to him.

“Nash Strong is overcoming adversity,” Cox said. “Everybody goes through a hard time in their life and Derrick has been has been through a hard time his entire life. He kept fighting and never gave up.”

A few short seasons ago, Frazier did not know Derrick Nash. Now, he will never forget him.

“Nash Strong is not a motto anymore; It’s a lifestyle,” Frazier said. “We try to live our lives and try to be like that on the field. We try to not take a play for granted and go hard every single play.

“We know if Nash had another chance to play this game, he would go all out.”

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →