Meet the Greeks held to inform students of benefits of Greek Life

image

Joining Greek Life has been a dream of Jackie Orjada's since she was a child.

After growing up with three brothers and no sisters, the Sterling Heights freshman has decided to join a sorority in hopes of gaining dozens of them.

“I have trouble making friends with girls specifically, so I figure if we’re there and we’re sisters, we have to work it out no matter what,” she said. “I also love to volunteer, and because of Greek Life philanthropies, I think it’s a great way to get involved.”

Meet the Greeks is an event is held every semester to inform and recruit students who are interested in Greek Life and participating in recruitment week. The event took place on Sept. 8 in the Bovee University Center Rotunda.

The event was held by the Collegiate Panhellenic council, the National Pan-Hellenic council and the Inter-fraternity council. 

“I’m a transfer student, so I feel like it’ll be a good way to get involved on campus,” said Monroe sophomore Drew Villarreal. “I’m excited to be part of something bigger than myself.”

Greek Life isn’t only about the social life; the organizations work all year to raise money for their philanthropies, including raising $50,000 last year for the Angel Wings Foundation. 

Sterling Heights senior Josh Jarvi said joining Greek Life is also a networking opportunity.

“It helps build relationships with others and membership to any organization is a membership for life,” he said. "I think it’s really great to be tied to something, not just for your four years here, but also for the rest of your life after college.”

Rochester senior Katie Karko’s grade point average rose from freshman year to sophomore year after joining Greek Life because of the required GPA required to remain in her sorority.

“There’s required study hours, which I never even constructed in high school. Now, senior year, I’m busting out a 3.5, so I’m really proud of myself,” she said.