Former teaching student sentenced for sexually-charged messages with a minor

bosler

East Jordan senior Benjamin Bolser, 24, is charged with using a computer to commit a crime, a seven-year felony, as well as accosting a minor for immoral purposes, a four-year felony. (Courtesy/Boyne City Police Department)

A former Central Michigan University teaching student was sentenced by a Charlevoix County judge to six months in jail and 36 months on probation for accosting a minor.

While working as a student teacher at Boyne City High School, East Jordan resident Benjamin Bolser sent sexually explicit communications to an underage female student, according to a press release from the Boyne City Police Department.

The Charlevoix County Sheriff's department said the 24-year-old admitted to sending Facebook messages soliciting sex from a 15-year-old Boyne City High School student.

He pleaded guilty to one charge of accosting a minor.

Bolser’s was dismissed from the Central Michigan University teaching program and is required to be on the Michigan sex offender registry for 25 years.

“CMU is aware of the information that has been reported and the charges against a student. We express our deepest concern for the high school students and families involved, for the district and for the Boyne City community,” Dale-Elizabeth Pehrsson, dean of the College of Education and Human Services said when Bolser was first arrested. “This situation absolutely defies the highest professional ethics that we teach our students to uphold.”