Winless no more: Stalars' double overtime goal propels field hockey to first victory

img_4563
Head Coach Molly Pelowski celebrates with the team after their victory against Missouri State at the field hockey complex on Oct. 16, 2015. The Chippewas defeated the bears in double overtime, 1-0.

It took 92 minutes in their 13th try of the season, but Central Michigan field hockey has one in the win column after topping Missouri State 1-0 (5-10, 2-2 Mid-American Conference) in double overtime Friday.

After 70 minutes of regulation, CMU and Missouri State were tied 0-0. The Bears came into the game on a three-game winning streak.

Junior midfielder Maude Stalars captured the only goal the Chippewas needed in sudden death. It was Stalars' third goal of the season. Another key player Friday was senior Kaysie Gregory who took five shots at the Bears’ goal.

The victory is the first in Head Coach Molly Pelowski's career. Friday was Senior Day as well as the last conference home game of the season.

“The first one’s always fun," Pelowski told Andy Sneddon from cmuchippewas.com. "The girls gave me the game ball. It’s going on my desk.”

The Chippewas were outshot 14-10, but outshot the Bears 6-1 in the second overtime.

Central Michigan started last season 1-8 before winning six out of its final 10 games en route to a MAC Regular Season Championship.

The Chippewas are now 1-12 and 1-3 in the MAC, with No. 14 Michigan on deck Sunday. The game will be at CMU's Field Hockey Complex at noon.