Bonamego announces he is cancer-free

Head Coach John Bonamego salutes the crowd after earning his first win with Central Michigan University football. The Chippewas defeated Monmouth 31-10 Sept. 12. (Photo by Monica Bradburn | Assistant Photo Editor)

Central Michigan Head Football Coach John Bonamego announced on social media Saturday morning he is officially cancer-free.

He announced the news on his Twitter account, while the Central Michigan Football Facebook page shared a longer message from Bonamego.

"Just informed the team that I am cancer-free," Bonamego wrote. "Paulette and I want to thank everyone for all the prayers and support. The CMU nation has been amazing during this whole process and I am so proud to be your football coach. Being able to represent Central Michigan and coach our young men has really been a dream come true."

The head coach told the media he was diagnosed with cancer in his left tonsil on June 18, before he even stepped on the field to coach his first game.

He underwent chemotherapy and radiation treatments until Aug. 21. Bonamego said multiple times throughout the summer he was inspired by the late Derrick Nash and his fight to battle through his own cancer.

The coach barely missed any practice time during the summer. During treatment he asked doctors to schedule early-morning appointments at 7 a.m. so he could spend more time with his family and his team. Bonamego said he woke up at 4:15 a.m. every day and was on his way to treatment in Ann Arbor at the University of Michigan Hospital by 5:15 a.m.

Bonamego is 6-5 through his first 11 games as head coach and will likely be heading to a bowl game after topping Kent State 27-14 on Wednesday. Of the past four CMU football coaches, only Butch Jones had more than four wins in his first season.

CMU will play its final game of the regular season at 1 p.m. Friday against Eastern Michigan at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →