Chippewas claim bowl eligibility with win over Kent State

arms_up_ut

Senior tight end Ben McCord (center) and the Central Michigan football team celebrates a touchdown on Nov. 10 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. (Photo by Monica Bradburn | Assistant Photo Editor) 

Instead of falling behind early as it has done often this season, the Central Michigan football team got out to a big lead against Kent State and secured a win that is likely to send it to a college bowl game this holiday season. 

Junior quarterback Cooper Rush led the Chippewas to a 27-14 victory over Kent State on Wednesday at Dix Stadium. The win improves the Chippewas to 6-5 overall, 5-2 in Mid-American Conference play and qualifies them for selection to a bowl game.  

Rush finished the game 20-for-34 with 337 yards passing and one touchdown. It was his second consecutive game with 330 yards or more. 

How it happened:

The Chippewas dominated the first quarter, scoring on each of their first three possessions to take a commanding 17-0 lead midway through the opening period. 

Rush threw for 226 yards on 13-of-23 passing and one touchdown during the first half. Senior tight end Ben McCord scored CMU's second touchdown off the game after being left wide open in the middle of the end zone and CMU took a three-score lead. 

Junior kicker Brian Eavey made his second field goal of the game from 35 yards away to push CMU's advantage to 20-7 during the third quarter and Kent responded with a six-yard touchdown grab by Johnny Woods to bring CMU's lead down to one score before halftime.

After Kent went three-and-out on its first drive of the second half, running back Jahray Hayes scored his second touchdown of the game with under five minutes remaining in the third quarter to push CMU's lead to 27-14. Hayes finished with 16 carries for 44 rushing yards and the pair of scores, while freshman Romello Ross had 10 carries for 43 yards.

CMU hadn't scored a rushing touchdown since Oct. 17 against Buffalo. 

What it means:

The Chippewas are bowl eligible for the fourth consecutive season and for the eighth season in the last 10 years. CMU could fill one of at least six open bowl spots given to the Mid-American Conference at the end of the regular season. 

CMU did show some signs of distraction on defense during the middle part of the game, but regained its composure after halftime. 

Rush was careful with the ball and CMU's lead defenders made the necessary adjustments to keep Kent State's scoring attack from threatening to pull of the upset. 

Next, CMU looks to finish the season with a win against the worst team in the MAC (Eastern Michigan) before awaiting a call from one of the bowl selection committees.

Coming Up:

The Chippewas host instate rival Eastern Michigan (1-10 overall, 0-7 MAC) at 1 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 21 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium during both teams' regular season finale.

The Eagles' only win this season came during the second game of the season, when they topped Wyoming 48-29 on the road.

It will be senior day for the Chippewas. The program will honor 14 seniors before the game. CMU holds a 58-28-6 advantage in the all-time series with EMU. The Chippewas have won five of the last six meetings with the Eagles including a 38-7 victory last season in Ypsilanti. 

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →