Greer's bond revoked following prostitution charge

greerc
Mary Lewandowski | Staff Photographer

Former Central Michigan University football player Brandon Greer will remain in the Isabella County Jail until his sentencing Dec. 7. 

Following his Nov. 6 arrest for disturbing the peace and prostitution, a bond hearing was scheduled Nov. 10 to determine whether Greer violated bond from his other outstanding charges. Greer was arrested in July after allegedly approaching several women and attempting to coerce them into his car. 

"The people's argument that (Greer) was soliciting for prostitution is thin but possible," said Judge Eric Janes. "It's more than likely that he was doing that and has violated the terms of his bond."

On Nov. 6, a resident of Bradley Trailer Park called the police after she said she was approached by a young black man in a silver Pontiac Grand Am. During questioning today, the woman identified Greer as the man who approached her. 

"He asked if I wanted to earn $50 in 10 minutes," she said. "To me that would mean prostitution. I told him I don't do stuff like that." 

The woman said Greer was 15 feet away when he approached her as she walked back to her residence. She said she didn't want to walk away because she didn't know if he would follow her, as he put his feet on the ground outside of the car. He asked her to come closer to him. When she refused, she told the court Greer said "You don't want to make me mad." 

During cross examination, Greer's attorney Thomas Hausmann questioned whether Greer was soliciting prostitution when he approached the woman. The woman told him Greer also asked if she had a boyfriend, and asked her to unzip her jacket to see what color her shirt is. 

When the woman returned to her home, she called the police. Mount Pleasant Sgt. Sara Cuthburtson responded to the call. She was given the description of a small silver Grand Am being driven by a young black man. When Cuthburtson pulled into the trailer park, she said she saw the car right away. 

Cuthburtson was told by the woman that the license plate had the letter "B" in it. When she asked Greer about his car, he said it was his girlfriend's car. According to police records, Greer was driving the same car when he was initially arrested in July. 

"He said he was looking for PSI (a vacuum store), but he didn't really have an explanation on why he was (at the trailer park)," Cuthburtson said. "He said he took a wrong turn but had a GPS on his phone. He told me his phone was dead, but later I saw that his phone wasn't." 

When Cuthburtson detained Greer, he asked her, "What did she say?" though before denied talking to anyone in the area. The sargeant found Greer wearing athletic pants, but the alleged victim said Greer was wearing jeans.

Mount Pleasant Police Officer Michael Covarrubias was dispatched that day to speak with the woman who called police. He was also the officer who searched the car Greer was driving. Upon his search, he found a pair of jeans laying across the center console of the car. 

Covarrubias said he got the woman into his car to take her to Greer's location to identify him.

"She hesitated to get into my vehicle," he said. "She was very scared. She asked me, 'Is he going to be able to see me?'" 

The officer said he recognized Greer's car because he was one of his original arresting officers in July.

Greer's sentencing will begin at 9 a.m. on Dec. 7. 

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →