Students share opinions about renovations to Park Library

Students and anyone interested could voice their opinions about future changes of the Park Library on Wednesday during a Charles V. Park Library Master session. 

Design consultants had open office hours in the Baber room from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The open office hours were to give students a say in how the building will evolve in the next 10 years.

Central Michigan University hired outside architecture and engineering firm consultant Harley Ellis Devereaux to help build a master plan. A master plan will provide guidelines for the library as the university makes decisions for changes, said project manager Ron Zuhorski.

"In 10 years things could be completely different,” Zuhorski said. “The goal is to have a cultivated, cohesive perspective for the building.”

As books transfer over to digital databases, space will be available for renovations throughout the library. The format of the building could be changing as space becomes available. The master plan will deal with making new space more useful. 

Associate professor of libraries Aparana Zambare said one area of the library that could be used more effectively is the second floor.

“The second floor is wasted space because the collections up there aren’t being used anymore,” Zambare said. “The space could be better used as more study rooms or small classrooms.”

Student responses have been mostly positive, Zuhorski said. Students have voiced how much the library means to them and say it is a symbol on campus.

“I love that they are making renovations in the library,” said senior Nsude Okeke Ewo.

Earlier in the morning a rush of students came and voiced positive opinions. Throughout the day there was a steady stream of people.

“I like that they are trying to see our point of view and reach out to the students,” said sophomore Liberty Ann Quijas-Klebba.

However, not all students want to see the familiar library change.

“I don’t want it to change,” said senior Halah Alajaj. “I love it the way it is.”

Students and faculty will not see changes to the Charles V. Park Library any time soon. The plan is to consider changes anywhere from five to 10 years in the future.