Life-sized decal of themselves, $200 Best Buy gift card highlights Chippewa bowl gifts

Quick Lane Bowl gifts, experiences to make it a holiday to remember for CMU football

quick_lane_bowl_photo

The logo for the Dec. 28 Quick Lane Bowl at Ford Field, via the Quick Lane Bowl Facebook page.

While many Chippewa football players won't be home for Christmas this year, they can all expect a hefty load of gifts Christmas night.

As the CMU football team heads down Wednesday for the Dec. 28 Quick Lane Bowl at Ford Field in Detroit, a barrage of gifts will be waiting for each athlete for their participation in the bowl’s second annual contest.

According to Detroit Lions Director of Corporate Communications Ben Manges, each student-athlete will receive gifts totaling $550 in value.

This year’s gifts include a $200 Best Buy gift card, a custom made life-sized decal of themselves, Harman JBL headphones, licensed Quick Lane Bowl merchandise — including hoodies, caps, winter hats and Ogio backpacks — and a commemorative Quick Lane Bowl football.

Some of the gifts are sourced by bowl sponsors while others are purchased by the bowl.

“I’m excited about those headphones,” said senior center Nick Beamish. “I saw a picture of them, they look pretty cool. I might just give that (life-sized decal) to my girlfriend. I don’t really need to wake up every morning and look at me on the wall, so I’ll just give it to her."

CMU players had varying opinions on the life-sized decals of themselves.

“I was definitely excited it," said senior safety Kavon Frazier. "That’s probably something that I’ll keep forever just as memories playing as a Chippewa. It doesn’t get any better than that, with one memory as an action shot. I’ll probably take it wherever I go and put it in my house.”

Both quarterback Cooper Rush and wide receiver Jesse Kroll said they'll probably give the decal to their mom.

In addition to the individual incentives, the marketing resource company Media Swing will provide a $15,000 locker room makeover for the winning program.

While all bowls give gifts to players, SB Nation ranked the stash from the Quick Lane Bowl fourth out of the 41 bowls, higher than any other game featuring a Mid-American Conference school.

Western Michigan will receive gifts similar to what CMU had last year from the Popeyes Bahamas Bowl. Players walk through a suite and choose from different items, including Oakley backpacks, caps, Rock' Em Apparel socks and a Jabra Bluetooth speaker.

“Last year at the Bahamas, you could choose from (different items)," Beamish said. "I got a watch and a couple toys I just gave to my family. The Little Caesars Bowl (in 2012), we didn’t really get much, we got another watch and a football and a bag. This one should be the best one, I think.”

According to Manges, the Quick Lane Bowl aims to go above and beyond what previous Detroit bowls offered, with the bowl gifts being part of the overall experience. Unlike the Quick Lane Bowl, previous Detroit bowls were not directly affiliated with the Detroit Lions.

Looking at the rest of the MAC, Northern Illinois players will receive fossil watches while Bowling Green players will receive Timely Watch Co. watches, a cooler and Sol Republic speakers.

“There are some pretty cool gifts. That’s just like the cherry on top,” Kroll said. “We don’t really expect to get a bunch of free stuff, it’s just something that’s kind of added in there. It’s pretty cool. But the real treat is being able to play and play in another game.”

Central Michigan (7-5) will kickoff against the Minnesota Golden Gophers (5-7) next Monday, December 28 at 5 pm.

Quick Lane Bowl gift package

— Custom decal graphic of each player with their likeness (Media Swing)

— Harman JBL Headphones

— $200 Best Buy Gift Card

— Quick Lane Bowl merchandise

— Quick Lane Bowl commemorative football

CMU's schedule of events in Detroit

Wednesday, Dec. 23

— Team travels to Detroit

Thursday, Dec. 24

— Morning practice at Ford Field

— Team trip to Fowling Warehouse in Hamtramck (Fowling combines elements of football, bowling and horseshoes, where players throw a football in an attempt to knock down bowling pins)

Friday, Dec. 25

— Players within a certain distance of Detroit can go home for the day and bring their teammates with them

— Players receive bowl gifts

Saturday, Dec. 26

— Volunteering at Gleaners Community Food Bank by packing produce to support school-based local food pantries

— Dinner at the Henry Ford Museum, including a "Life after football" panel discussion in the Anderson theatre with former Detroit Lions alumni and current Lion fullback Michael Burton (who played in last year's Quick Lane Bowl for Rutgers), a dinner and dessert buffet and a private tour of the museum

Sunday, Dec. 27

— Seats in the North Side suites at Ford Field as the Detroit Lions (5-9) host the San Francisco 49ers (4-10), with lunch being catered by Coney Island Hot Dogs and other stadium favorites

Monday, Dec. 28

— The Quick Lane Bowl vs. Minnesota at 5 p.m. at Ford Field

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →