How to write a letter to the editor or guest column

editor_note

What is a letter to the editor?

Letters to the editor must be relevant to our coverage. They must address issues that in some way affect the Central Michigan University and Mount Pleasant community. They should be in response to an issue on campus or an action by the university or city, or in response to an article, column, editorial or other content that has been recently published. Letters can be authored by more than one person but must have a name attributed to them.

What is a guest column? 

Guest columns can be a topic of the author’s choosing. They are typically selected due to their proximity to a national or international issue, or their relevance to an issue on campus or in Mount Pleasant. They should be relevant to Central Michigan Life's audience. They are also usually subject to a more thorough editing process and the author must take or provide a headshot. Guest columns cannot be authored by more than one person.

How long can letters to the editor or guest columns be?

Letters to the editor are typically a maximum of 500 words. Letters that are longer than 500 words are dealt with on a case-by-case basis and published at the discretion of the opinion editor, managing editor and editor-in-chief. In most cases, guest columns can be a maximum of 650 words.

Does Central Michigan Life edit letters to the editor or guest columns?

We reserve the right to edit letters to the editor or guest columns for clarity, and for AP Style, as well as to fact-check them and shorten them to fit available space in the print edition. Letters to the editor and guest columns will run in full length online at cm-life.com.

How does Central Michigan Life choose letters to the editor to publish?

We make our best effort to publish every letter to the editor and guest column we receive. The submission of a letter or column does not guarantee its immediate publication in print; the opinion editor prioritizes letters and columns that contribute to a diverse array of perspectives on a relevant and timely issue. In most cases, every piece will be published online at cm-life.com as soon as possible.

How do I submit a letter to the editor or guest column?
Email the letter to the editor or guest column to opinion@cm-life.com by 12 p.m. on Sunday or Wednesday if you would like it to appear in the next day’s issue. In most cases, every piece will be published online at cm-life.com as soon as possible.