Gymnastics dominates Temple in season opener

gymnastics_13_028
Ohio senior Taylor Bolender competes os the uneven bars on Jan. 3, 2015 at the opening meet against Temple University. The Chippewas beat Temple 193.425 to 188.900.

Despite losing senior Kiki Petzold to an injury, the Chippewas topped the Temple Owls in their season opener Sunday 193.425-188.9.

CMU’s 193.425 was the team’s lowest score since last year’s season opener, when the Chippewas defeated Division III UW-Eau Claire 192.550-183.800. CMU entered the meet ranked first in the MAC preseason poll.

Freshman Kasey Janowicz won the All-Around in her first ever collegiate competition with an overall score of 38.975, highlighted by a 9.825 score on the floor routine.

CMU started off the meet on the vault, scoring a 48.375. CMU took the top three spots on the event, with senior Karlee Teet leading the way with a 9.825.

In the second rotation, Central Michigan scored a 48.900 on the uneven bars. Sophomore Bryttany Kaplan and senior Megan Lamphere both received scores of 9.825 as all six Chippewas topped the six Temple gymnasts on the event.

The balance beam proved to be the most difficult, as the Chippewas would score a 47.175 on the event — the lowest of the four events.

"Bars, it was what I fully expected. Floor was a great day and things really crashed down on us on balance beam.” said Head Coach Jerry Reighard to cmuchippewas.com. “That's an event that we know is the maker, it's the breaker.”

Senior Jordan Charette won the event with a 9.8, but only two Chippewas scored higher than a 9.25 on the beam.

CMU finished the day on floor with its best event score of the day with a 48.975. Senior Taylor Bolender and junior Kirstin Stambaugh both scored a 9.85.

CMU will travel to Wisconsin this week for the UW-Eau Claire Quad meet on Friday at 7 p.m.