New synthetic turf budgeted for Kelly/Shorts Stadium

kelly_shorts

The sun rises behind Kelly/Shorts Stadium on Oct. 17, 2015 before a home Chippewa football game.

Central Michigan football will play on new artificial turf in 2016.

Facilities Management Associate Vice President Steven Lawrence said Tuesday his department and the Athletics Department are in the process of finalizing designs for the field and hope to have contractors big for the project on Friday.

Lawrence said the design could possibly include a multi-colored field — alternating dark green and light green colored turf.

MSA Sports, an Ohio based architecture and design company, is being consulted to help develop the design, Lawrence said.

Lawrence said the total cost is not yet known, but will go into the differed maintenance budget, which has $600,000 set aside for the project. New turf was not originally budgeted in the 2015-16 operating budget for deferred maintenance.

Lawrence said construction is tentatively expected to begin June 6 and end July 30.

The synthetic turf currently carpeting Kelly/Shorts Stadium was installed in 2004 and cost $680,000.

Lawrence and Senior Associate Athletic Director of Internal Operations Brad Wachler said new turf is needed because the current, 12-year-old turf has tested poorly in its annual Gmax test, which determines how much force the field absorbs and returns back to the athlete.

“(The test) doesn’t really look at aesthetics and playability, but it looks at the overall safety component of the turf itself in terms of hardness, low spots or high spots,” Wachler said.

According to a Dec. 30 USA Today article citing a study called “The Role of Synthetic Turf in Concussion,” 15 percent of concussions occur after players’ heads hit the turf.

The turf at Kelly/Shorts Stadium could be played on another year or two, Wachler said, but recent Gmax test results were “close to falling below appropriate levels.”

Head Football Coach John Bonamego said he prefers being proactive, instead of waiting until the turf is dangerous to play on.

“We’re due. We’re definitely due,” Bonamego said. “I’m excited. It’s going to be great for our program and for recruits.”

Bonamego said he has been a part of the collaboration conversation, but would not disclose any specific information about the design.

“It will be something alumni, students and everyone can be proud of," Bonamego said. "It will be something we all can be very proud of.”

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →