Ross receives $100,000 in raises since hire

ross

President George Ross speaks to the Board of trustees in the President’s conference room in the University Center on Thursday, Dec. 17, 2015 during the Board of trustees meeting.

In five years, President George Ross' salary has increased by $100,000.

In December, Ross received a $20,000 raise, bringing his salary to $450,000.

"It's like any other position you're in. There's market, and in order to be competitive you pay people based on what the market dictates," Ross said in December. "The board talked about it (at the Dec. 15 meeting); they looked across MAC institutions at the salary of leadership of those institutions."

Ross has received a raise almost every year he has been president of Central Michigan University. His starting salary in 2010 was $350,000. The compensation increase was introduced after a comprehensive performance review of the president showed "very favorable" results. 

History of salary increases

In February 2013, Ross' base salary increased 4 percent, bringing it to $364,000. In December of the same year, his salary rose to $371,280. The following December, his salary increased to $430,000, a 15.8 percent increase. This came just after Ross dropped out of the running for the presidency and University of Nebraska. 

When this increase was approved, the board also created a retention payment. Ross gets an additional $30,000 each June, as long as he remains employed at CMU. 

His salary has increased 21.8 percent overall since he became president.

Review results

Each year, the president is given a performance review. Every three years, including 2015, his contract requires a more thorough review. 

The Presidential Review Committee this year invited 79 "stakeholders" to participate in the process, including 27 who were interviewed in person and 52 who used an online survey instrument. Those included were the Board of Trustees, donors, community members, deans, faculty, the president's cabinet, administration and a handful of student leaders. 

Ross' average score on a 1-10 scale was an 8.2, his lowest being a 7 and highest a 10.

Student Government Association President Chuck Mahone, along with Residence Hall Assembly president Mike Degregory and Program Board president Kaylee Bloom were interviewed. Mahone said the three were asked questions about their experiences with Ross. Mahone said Ross should focus on being more open with them.

"I would like to see more open interaction with the student body, like the (Walking Together) discussion at the end of last semester," he said.

Mahone's critique of the president was reflected in other interviews. Ross scored slightly lower when it came to speed and timeliness of making decisions. Some interviewed said he is very "CPA-like" and could become bolder and more efficient, instead of heavily analytical. His lowest scores came from adaptability to drive change, and the innovation to make changes at CMU.

In general, those interviewed said Ross "clearly believes in the mission and vision of the university." The review states that many said Ross' day-to-day activities in managing the university work well, but the mission should be better articulated. This fall, Ross declined to present a State of the University address.

In his 2012 review, Ross was tasked with improving relationships with faculty and stakeholders. It also said he needs to improve planning processes, complete goals and implement strategic plans. Board of Trustees Chair Bill Kanine said Ross addressed all of the goals outlined in his previous review. Now Ross is focusing on getting the College of Medicine "where it needs to be" and continuing to build rapport, citing the approved contract between the university and Union of Teaching Faculty.

"In relationship building -- like the five-year faculty contract -- he did that very well," Kanine said. "He's hired some new deans, and there are significant building projects going on. He continues to address needs to create accomplishments."

The review also states that almost every interviewee discussed CMU's captial campaign, an external fundraiser for the university. Some were frustrated about the lack of communication and planning of the goals of the campaign. Because of this, the review committee advised Ross to launch the campaign, and hire a Vice President of Advancement, a position created to fundraise for the university.

If every student could get to know the president on a personal level, said Mahone, who attends dinner at Ross' house once a month, students would see he wants the best for them.

"President Ross is a true Southern gentleman," he said. "There is no other university president that does the things he does. He realizes this is an academic institution, so he has to be responsible, but he wants what is best for students." 

Contract details

In addition to $450,000, Ross' contract offers a number of fringe benefits. His insurance benefits consist of life, health, dental, vision, prescription drug insurance and long-term and short-term disability insurance. Central Michigan Life inquired about the university contribution put into Ross' retirement account each year, but was not given the information before the time of publication. 

Ross is entitled to take "reasonable" vacation with notification of the Board of Trustees, and sick time as he deems necessary. Vacation and sick time is not recorded or accumulated. 

CMU provides, maintains and owns for a president's house on Forest Lane in Mount Pleasant. His housekeeping, utilities, telephone and computer services is paid for by CMU. Catering and special events of a "business nature" at his home are paid for by the university. 

Ross may spend up to $10,000 per year for new furnishings for public areas in the home without board approval. These areas consist of "large living and dining areas, study, kitchen, deck and lower level meeting and entertainment rooms." CMU furnished a home office for Ross with direct phone lines and computer network access to the university's administrative offices.The private sections of the home are furnished at Ross' expense.

The university also provides Ross with a new car for business and personal use, which is replaced at "reasonable intervals." Fuel, repairs and insurance are paid for by CMU. 

When Ross travels for business purposes, including educational conferences and "professional growth activities," CMU pays for coach class airfare, unless the flight is more than seven hours -- then Ross can upgrade to business class. The same accommodations apply to Elizabeth Ross, the president's wife, when her presence is necessary to "further the interests of CMU." 

"We need to be competitive with keeping Ross' talents at CMU," Kanine said. "This is a reward for his efforts and to make sure we keep him fairly compensated. You couldn't get anyone with Dr. Ross' talents on a salary lower than that." 

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →