Relationship between racism and police to take place in upcoming public forum

The topic of racism, police and community will be explored in the first Speak Up, Speak Out open forum this semester from 7 to 9 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 27 in the Bovee University Center auditorium.

The topic that aligns with current events such as the recent non-indictment of the police officer who shot and killed Tamir Rice, and the ongoing Black Lives Matter movement.

The focus of the discussion for both the panelists and the audience will aim to question the ethics behind the police force throughout communities across the nation, and how they are affecting the well-being of citizens. In addition, it will attempt to explore the result of under-policing and over-policing within communities, and how the Black Lives Matter movement has made an impact on this issue.

The panel for this forum will include humanities professor Ulana Klymyshyn, sociology professor Justin Smith, and students Dion Campbell, Rachel Letsche, and Donovan Watts. 

During the previous semester each of the Speak Up, Speak Out events had been held in the Park Library Auditorium, but due to the large amount of people attending the discussion forums, the location had been moved to the Bovee University Center Auditorium to accommodate more people.