Fourth-ranked Missouri to challenge No. 19 Central Michigan wrestling Sunday

wrestling
Junior Zach Horan takes down his opponent Tyler Small from Kent State, Sunday, Feb. 1 at McGuirk Arena. CMU defeated Kent State 19-13.

After splitting a pair of home meets against Oregon State and Mid-American Conference rival No. 21 Ohio last weekend, the Central Michigan wrestling team will face one of the biggest tests of the season against No. 4 Missouri on Sunday.

“We’re excited for the opportunity to see how good we are and to see how we match up with them," said Head Coach Tom Borrelli.

The Tigers (7-0, 4-0 MAC), have eight wrestlers ranked in the top 11 of their respective weight classes, the most of any team in the country. 

Missouri's top wrestlers are junior Lavion Mayes, who is ranked third in the 149-pound weight class, and second-ranked junior J’den Cox from the 197-pound weight class.

While No. 19 CMU (5-1, 2-0 MAC) does not have as many wrestlers ranked at the top, it has its fair share of firepower. Senior Zach Horan moved up two spots in the 141-pound weight class to 16th. Senior Lucas Smith (157) is currently ranked 11th.

Senior Mike Ottinger (174) moved up to No. 10 after defeating No. 9 Cody Walters of Ohio. This is the second straight meet he will face the ninth-ranked wrestler when he takes on Blaise Butler. 

Tenth-ranked sophomore Colin Heffernan (149) will return to the mat Sunday, after sitting out the past three meets due to injury. This will be his first meet since Dec. 20 at the Reno Tournament of Champions.

“I hope our guys have enough confidence in themselves after the way we’ve been training this week to go out and execute the things we’re emphasizing,” Borrelli said.

The Tigers come in looking to win their fourth straight MAC Championship.

“Missouri is as good as anybody," Borrelli said. "They would give (No. 1) Penn State fits,” Borrelli said. “Ohio State was the national champion last year and (Missouri) already beat them. Cornell, who’s a really good school, (Missouri) just beat them. They’re as good as anybody in a duel meet.”

CMU and Missouri are the only MAC teams who've started conference play without a MAC loss, meaning Sunday's meet has major implications with the regular season only lasting another month. Sunday's meet could play a large role in whether the Chippewas can dethrone the Tigers or fall behind again.

“I think it will have a big bearing on it,” Borrelli said. “We are 2-0 in the MAC. I think they’re (4-0) in the MAC. I think whoever wins this dual meet will certainly have a leg up on who wins the regular season.”