Central Michigan Wrestling will host Oregon State, Ohio this weekend

wrestling
Junior Zach Horan takes down his opponent Tyler Small from Kent State, Sunday, Feb. 1 at McGuirk Arena. CMU defeated Kent State 19-13.

The undefeated Central Michigan wrestling team will hit the mats at McGuirk Arena for the first time in 2016 Saturday and Sunday.

The Chippewas begin a three-meet home stretch after finishing eighth at the Southern Scuffle in Chattanooga, Tennessee Jan. 1 and 2. They will take on the Beavers of Oregon State on Saturday.

Central Michigan lost to the Beavers 22-13 a season ago at the Eastern Michigan Open/Duals in Ypsilanti, Nov. 13, 2013.

Mid-American Conference foe Ohio will finish out the Chippewas’ weekend, Sunday, as the 21st-ranked Bobcats will roll into Mount Pleasant for the first time since Central Michigan served them a 19-15 defeat a year ago. Both matches begin at 2 p.m.

In the latest USA Today rankings, Central Michigan (4-0 overall) stayed put as the No. 16 team in the nation and remained at No. 18 according to InterMat.

Two Central Michigan Wrestlers have individually cracked the top 10 in their respective weight classes according to InterMat’s rankings. Sophomore Colin Heffernan comes in as the 10th-ranked 149-pounder in the country and senior Lucas Smith is ranked ninth in the 157-pound class.

MAC Schools Ranked in USA Today's Top 25

No. 4 Missouri (5-0)

No. 16 Central Michigan (4-0)

No. 21 Ohio (4-1)

No. 24 Old Dominion (2-3)

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →