Campus groups to host Dodgeball for Flint

sga

The Student Government Association, Phi Delta Theta fraternity, Phi Alpha Delta pre-law fraternity and Residence Hall Assembly will host a dodgeball tournament on Feb. 20 to raise money for Flint.

Registration starts at 1 p.m. in the Student Activity Center and the event begins at 2 p.m. The initial proceeds will go towards Phi Delta Theta's efforts to get a semitruck to deliver water to Sam's Club in Flint. The rest of the proceeds will go to the Flint Water Fund through the United Way of Genesee County.

"The good thing about the Flint Water Fund is they do water, they do filters, but they also help with emergency services and if they reach their goal, they're also donating to an organization in Flint that helps with the youth that were affected by the water," said Marisa Vinsky, president of Phi Alpha Delta.

Individuals and teams of four to six people can sign up to participate in Dodgeball for Flint by visiting the SGA office located in the lower level of the Bovee University Center or by contacting any of the four organizations that are sponsoring the event. The cost is $20 for a team and $5 for individuals. Feb. 14 is the last day to sign up.

"We want it to be as big as possible," Vinsky said. "Our goal is to provide a platform for people to be able to donate to Flint if they didn't know how to do it."

She said they will also have a donation jar at the event. If people don't want to participate but still want to donate. They will also have a prize valued at over $100 for the first place winner and they're trying to get prizes for the second and third place winners as well.

Vinsky said they're willing to accommodate for people who are also participating in the Polar Plunge that day because they want as much participation in the event as possible.

Students can email dodgeballforflint@gmail.com with any questions.