College of Health Professions names four finalists in dean search

logo

Four finalists will visit campus next week and interview to be the next dean of The Herbert H. & Grace A. Dow College of Health Professions.

Interim Dean Thomas Masterson, John Todorovich, Constance Dean Qualls and Gregory Frazer were named as potential candidates, in a press release published by the university Monday.

Todorovich serves as the department chair of exercise science and community health at the University of West Florida in Pensacola. Qualls is the director of the Graduate Program in Speech-Language Pathology at the State University of New York at Buffalo and Frazer serves as dean of John G. Rangos Sr. School of Health Sciences at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh.

Interviews will take place in February and will be held from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. in the Bovee University Center Lake Michigan Room.

Todorovich will interview first on Monday, Feb. 8, followed by Masterson on Wednesday, Feb. 10 and Qualls on Thursday, Feb. 11. Frazer will visit campus last on Monday, Feb. 15.

Each interview is open for the public to attend.

The interview will be conducted by a 13-person committee, headed by Senior Associate Dean of Faculty and Administration for the College of Medicine Linda Perkowski. The committee is comprised of students, faculty and staff.

"(Prior to) the in person interviews, we did Skype interviews with all of the candidates," she said. "Our job is to recommend individuals to Provost (Michael) Gealt for his selection as to who should come to campus (for the interview). Our instructions (for the in-person interviews) are to meet the qualifications as indicated by the position description."

Masterson has been serving as interim dean since the resignation of former CHP Dean Christopher Ingersoll, who left Central Michigan University in January 2015. Ingersoll now serves as dean of the College of Health Sciences at the University of Toledo.

Perkowski said the committee hopes to have the position filled by the end of the semester, but when the dean will finally be able to fill the position is largely dependent on how soon they can leave their other job. 

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →