Assistant Soccer Coach takes head coach position at Mount St. Mary's

Joe Nemzer has decided to leave his assistant coaching position at Central Michigan in order to become the head soccer coach at Mount St. Mary’s in Emmitsburg, Maryland.

Nemzer is the sixth head coach in the programs history. It is his first Division I head coaching opportunity. With the Chippewas, Nemzer’s official title was Director or External affairs, but he had many other duties.

He played a role in recruiting and video for CMU, was the goalkeepers coach, did advanced scouting and oversaw scheduling.

In his first season at CMU in 2013, senior goalkeeper Grace Labrecque had eight shutouts and earned Second Team All-Mid-American Conference honors.

“We’re very sorry to lose Joe, it’s a sad day for the program,” said Head Soccer Coach Peter McGahey to Andy Sneddon of cmuchippewas.com. “But we’re very excited for him and the opportunity. The administration was supportive of creating an attractive offer for Joe to stay, but the opportunity to be a Division I head coach two hours away from your hometown was an opportunity for Joe that was too good to pass up. We’ll miss him.”

In addition to the three years Nemzer spent at CMU, he has national experience and spent time at several other universities as an assistant coach.

Before arriving at CMU, he was the head assistant coach for women’s soccer at Division II Fort Hays State in Kansas for two years. During his time there, the team won a MIAA Conference Championship and received an NCAA Tournament berth.

Nemzer was an assistant coach at Ottawa University in Ottawa, Kansas for one season that won a Collegiate Athletic Conference Championship. He was also the head girls’ soccer coach at Lawrence High School.

Last summer, Nemzer won a gold medal as the head coach of Team USA women’s soccer in the Maccabi Games. The games are known as the “Jewish Olympics” because they are an international competition among Jews of all nationalities.