Police Log: Feb. 9-15

police

Feb. 14

A laptop was stolen from a study hall at East Graduate Housing on Sunday afternoon. The 24 year-old male victim said he left the study hall for five minutes to while he went to his apartment and returned to find his laptop missing. Surveillance cameras were checked, but police could not identify a suspect. Lt. Cameron Wassman of CMUPD said the university has put a trace on the laptop to detect if it connects to the CMU network.

Feb. 13

CMUPD provided assistance when a 20 year-old woman fell off the stage at Warriner Hall around 2 p.m. during the DREAM 2016 conference. The woman was taken to McLaren Central-Michigan with minor injuries.

University Events reported that metal sign holders were stolen Saturday evening.

Feb. 12

CMUPD was called when a 22 year-old man reported the contents of his locker at the Student Activity Center had been removed Friday around 8 p.m. The missing items included clothing, keys and a jacket, estimated at $200. A suspect could not be identified using surveillance footage of the surrounding area.

Police responded to a call in Woldt Hall after staff smelled marijuana in the building. A small amount of the drug was found in the possession of two 18 year-old men, along with a grinder with residue and a pipe. The incident has been referred to the Office of Student Conduct.

Feb. 11

The father of an 18 year-old female student in Beddow Hall called police after the student received phone calls and messages from a 20 year-old man with a criminal record. Although the father said she was being harassed, Wassman said the woman did not want to involve the police. The contents of the messages are unknown, but Wassman said they did not include threats.

Feb. 10

A 19 year old man from Trout Hall was reported to the Office of Student Conduct after staff reported the smell of marijuana in the building. A small amount of marijuana was found with a grinder.

Gaven Bertram, 20, from Clarkston, Michigan was arrested Wednesday on charges that he had forged prescriptions. Bertram was arraigned the next day. A probable cause hearing is scheduled for Feb. 25.

CMU Police arrested a 23 year-old man at Deerfield Apartments Wednesday morning for failing to appear in court to face charges for retail fraud.

Feb. 9

A 19 year-old woman reported the catalytic converter stolen from her 2003 Buick Rendezvous in parking lot 1B near Northwest Apartments, the same location as two similar larcenies last week. The larceny was similar as previously reported incidents around campus, two cuts made with a reciprocating saw to remove the piece.

Wassman said the incident occurred the same day as the other robberies, but was not reported until Tuesday. He said the police are stepping up surveillance on campus and coordinating with other agencies to identify similar cases. Officer Jeff Browne of MPPD said similar cases had happened in the city of Mount Pleasant.

City police arrested a 21 year-old Bay City man Tuesday for disorderly conduct. The man was arrested for driving on South Mission Street hanging out the car door and shouting curse words. Browne said the man was intoxicated at the time.

A non-aggravated assault has been forwarded to the County Prosecutor involving a 25 year-old Mount Pleasant woman who punched her husband, a 32 year-old Mount Pleasant man, after an argument over the couple’s potential eviction from their home. The man suffered minor injuries.