Softball opens season with tournament victory

img_7781

Sophomore pitcher Rachael Knapp throws to a Ball State batter Saturday at Margo Jonker Stadium. The Chippwas fell to the Cardinals, 14-7.

Central Michigan softball won the Mercer Invitational Tournament this weekend in Macon, Georgia.

The Chippewas were able to turn around a 0-2 start by winning three straight games over the final two days of the tournament.

After losing to the Pittsburgh in the opening game, CMU got a shot at redemption in the championship round. Junior pitcher Rachel Knapp avenged her loss in the first matchup by striking out eight batters over seven innings while allowing three runs.

“(Knapp) did a very nice job in the circle," said Head Coach Margo Jonker. "The number of strikeouts she had against two very good hitting teams was outstanding."

The offense against Pitt was powered by two home runs from senior Katelyn Rentschler and freshman Allison Curtis. CMU took the lead in the second inning and didn’t relinquish it for the rest of the game, winning 4-3.

CMU scored three total runs in its first day of the season against Pittsburgh and Mercer.

Knapp took the loss against Pitt after allowing two runs over seven innings with 10 strikeouts. Pittsburgh’s only runs came from solo home runs in the first and fourth innings.

The Chippewa bats remained quiet in the second game of the day against Mercer, losing 5-3. Sophomore pitcher Hanna Warren wasn’t able to escape the third inning after giving up five earned runs on six hits and three walks.

Senior Chelsea DeLamiellleure and sophomore Maison Kalina hit home runs to provide all the offense for CMU in the first two innings. The Chippewas were shut out the rest of the way.

“The first day was the first day out on dirt, the first time outside, the first game of the year," Jonker said. "That’s always an adjustment that takes a little bit of time sometimes and that’s not unusual."

CMU scored 18 runs the following day.

In its third game of the tournament, CMU beat St. Bonaventure 10-0. Warren was able to redeem her previous performance by holding the Bonnies to two hits over seven innings.

Sophomore outfielder Lacy Tolfree led the charge with a three-run homer, one of six Chippewas with an RBI during the game.

In the second game of the day, Knapp continued her success from the first game, striking out nine Mercer batters in a five-inning mercy-rule victory.

CMU’s offense collected nine hits to score their eight runs, including another three home runs.

“We had some really good defensive plays, players all the way through our offensive lineup," Jonker said. "It’s exciting that a number of people can contribute."

Jonker says the team’s goal is to take the season day-by-day, pitch-by-pitch, and to get better every day.

The Chippewas will head to Palm Springs, California to compete in the Mary Nuttter Tournament on Friday. Their first game will be against Texas A&M at 1 p.m.