Asian Pacific American Heritage Month Keynote Speaker talks racism, hip-hop

Jeff Chang spoke tonight in the Bovee University Center's Rotunda as a part of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month.

Chang is the author of "Can’t Stop Wont Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation," and regularly lectures on the topics of race, civil rights and art. During his speech, Chang spoke about how individuals can learn more about racism and different heritages, and how these aspects influence the hip-hop culture.

Less than 30 people attended the event, but were nevertheless engaged in Chang lecture.

Yale junior Breanna Ripenbark came to the event as she was interested to learn more about different cultures' "influence (on) hip-hop."

Chang presentation encompassed today's ever-changing culture, how people survive in it and how diversity impacts them. He highlighted the importance of culture in art and politics, particularly during the Civil Right's Movement, and how those things are still relevant today.

Civil and racial issues are still seen today in everyday life, despite being the "most diverse its ever been," Chang said. Stereotypes, images, messages and discrepancies in culture are different examples of how our nation still suffers from segregation. 

Chang said the United States' blended culture is could help bring young people together. Through hip-hop, people can use their imagination and experiences with diversity to help continue to unite the U.S.and continue to make strides in breaking stereotypes 

Harrison native Trent Falin was drawn to the event when he heard about it through social media. Though he doesn't attend Central Michigan University, he came due to his passion for music.

“Something like music is relative, and I am interested in what he has to say about it,” Falin said.

Chang discussed how many civil movements that were successful during our nation’s history were because of how hip hop music brought issues to surface in a way that caused the listeners to realize its importance.

“Hip-hop is something that has helped me learn about cultures and politics,” said Chang. "(The genre) has brought profound insight into our culture and how to change the world.”

The music genre of hip-hop has grown over time, but has stayed close to younger individuals.

“Hip-hop reflects the desire to escape and the desire for change,” Chang said. “Cultural change always precedes political change.”