CMU baseball goes 3-5 during spring break Florida trip

img_8013

Senior infielder Pat McKenzie leads off third base as Logan Regnier bats against Eastern Michigan Friday at Theunissen Stadium. The Chippewas allowed no runs through the sixth inning, defeating the Eagles, 16-6 and would win again Saturday 18-3.

During spring break, the Central Michigan baseball team went to Florida to compete against in two tournaments. In a span of 10 days, CMU played eight different teams in Deland and Port Charlotte, Florida.

Deland, Florida

March 4 – Illinois 9, CMU 4

The Chippewas gave up five runs in the first inning and only scored four runs the entire game, as CMU lost its eighth straight game to start the season. CMU starting pitcher senior Nick Deeg went five innings and gave up six runs on nine hits and one walk. He struck out eight batters.

With Illinois already up 1-0, Deeg gave up four hits and four runs with one on base and two outs in the top of the first, including a three-run home run by Illinois first baseman Luke Shilling. That gave the Illini the early 5-0 lead.

CMU chipped away at the lead in the second and sixth innings with two runs apiece. However, Illinois added a run in the seventh and two runs in the eighth to extend the lead and ultimately earn the win. CMU freshman second baseman Jason Sullivan and senior right fielder Logan Regnier had two hits and two RBIs each. Sophomore left fielder Daniel Jipping went 3-for-4 with a single and two doubles.

March 5 – CMU 9, Villanova 5

The Chippewas earned their first win of the season with a 9-5 win over the Villanova Wildcats.

Though freshman pitcher Michael Brettell started for CMU, it was senior Sean Renzi who took the win in relief. Brettell went four innings giving up three runs (one earned) on two hits and four walks. Renzi pitched the last 2 and 1/3 innings giving up two runs on two hits and two walks. He also struck out six.

“Let’s make no mistake about it, Sean Renzi could be a starter for us,” said Head Coach Steve Jaksa. “We needed a closer. He’s capable of closing and he knows how that it takes a certain mentality to be a closer. We think (Renzi) will do really well.”

Villanova took an early 3-0 lead, but the Chippewas slowly came back. With a run in the third inning and three in the fourth, CMU was suddenly up 4-3. Another run in the seventh and four runs in the eighth, highlighted by a Jipping home run, put the Chippewas in position to get their first win. All three of Villanova’s outs in the ninth were via the strikeout, ending any chance for a late comeback.

March 6 – Stetson 4, CMU 3

Steson only had four hits throughout the entire game, to go along with three errors. However, they were able to pull off a late rally and defeat CMU 4-3.

The Chippewas found themselves up 3-2 heading into the eighth inning. Senior relief pitcher Jimmy McNamara got one out and then walked the next batter. McNamara was then pulled for freshman pitcher/outfielder Dazon Cole. Cole walked the only two batters he faced, which loaded the bases. Cole was then pulled for junior Jordan Grosjean, who struck out the first batter he faced. With two outs, Grosjean then gave up an RBI single and then walked in the second run of that inning, giving Stetson the 4-3 lead.

Shortstop Zach McKinstry, Cole and Jipping went 1-2-3 in the ninth, sealing Stetson’s comeback victory and a 1-2 trip for the Chippewas in Deland.

Port Charlotte, Florida: Snowbird Baseball Classic

March 8 – Boston College 9, CMU 3

The Chippewas were only able to collect four hits against Boston College, falling to 1-10 on the year and losing this contest 9-3.

Freshman starting pitcher Grant Wolfram gave up nine runs (eight earned) through six innings on nine hits and two walks. He struck out three.

BC’s bullpen did the majority of the work, as starter Zach Stromberg was only able to go 2 and 2/3 innings. The bullpen took over the rest of the 6 and 1/3 innings and gave up two hits and struck out five.

BC scored three runs in the first inning, but the Chippewas were able to get two in the second and one in the third to tie up the game. Third baseman Morgan Oliver hit a two RBI double in the second, while second baseman Jason Sullivan hit an RBI single in the third. Of CMU’s four hits, Oliver had two of them.

However, BC was able to get four runs in the fourth inning and then two in the sixth to extend their lead. CMU went 1-2-3 in the eighth and ninth innings to end the game.

March 9 – CMU 8, Butler 3

The Chippewas rebounded from their loss against Boston College and defeated the Butler Bulldogs in their second game of the Snowbird Baseball Classic.

Even though Butler outhit CMU 12-10, the Chippewas were able to get their hits when it mattered most.

After a double play in the third inning, CMU still managed to get three runs. After a walk and a single, Jipping came up to bat and hit his second home run of the season, putting the Chippewas up 3-2.

“We did get quite a few of two out RBIs,” Jaksa said. “When (Jipping) does what he knows he can do, he’s a pretty tough out and he’s a force to reckon with. It boils down to our hitters as a group, not one particular one. As our team matures as a group of hitters, then they need to understand how to (consistently hit) every day.”

In the next inning, the Chippewas played small ball. After Oliver walked and a single by first baseman Alex Borglin, third baseman Joe Houlihan got on base due to an error, scoring Oliver from second base. Catcher Blake Cleveland then hit an RBI groundout. Cole flied out, leaving CMU with two outs again. McKinstry then hit an RBI single that forced a pitching change.

Butler scored one more run in the fifth, but was unable to get any clutch hits like the Chippewas were.

March 11 – CMU 11, North Dakota State 4

Jipping hit a 3-run home run for the second straight game, while collecting three hits to help the Chippewas defeat the North Dakota State Bison 11-4.

All 15 runs scored came in the sixth inning or later. The Bison put one run on the board in the top half of the sixth, but the Chippewas blew the game open with six runs in their half of the inning, thanks in large part to the Jipping homer.

Four Chippewas had two hits or more while nine players had at least one hit.

“Defensively we’re playing better,” Jaksa said. “We’ve had more double plays. And again, our starting pitching — Deeg threw the ball well and we think he’s going to have better games than (the two games he started in Florida) but he still threw the ball very well.”

CMU’s starter Deeg won his first game of the season. He went 6 and 1/3 innings giving up three runs on seven hits and two walks. He struck out eight.

March 12 – Illinois State 13, CMU 7

A day after scoring 11 runs on North Dakota State, the Chippewas gave up 13 to Illinois State, falling to the Redbirds 13-7.

Even though CMU only had one less hit than Illinois State, the Redbirds bunched them together to score runs.

The game changed in the sixth inning, as the Redbirds scored seven runs. All of the runs were given up by CMU senior relief pitcher Connor Kelly. He went 2/3 of an inning, giving up seven runs on four hits and two walks. Two of those hits were doubles and the other two were home runs.

The Chippewas got three runs on the board in their half of the sixth inning, but then gave up two more runs in the seventh and one run in the ninth. McKinstry and Borglin led the team in hits with three hits apiece.

March 13 – St. Joseph’s 5, CMU 2

In a game without much action, the Chippewas dropped their final game of the Florida trip to the St. Joseph’s Hawks 5-2.

This game was a pitching duel, as there were only two hits given up altogether through the first five innings of play. St. Joseph’s was able to put a run on the board in the sixth inning after a sacrifice fly. They scored one more in the seventh and two more in the eighth to put them up 5-0.

CMU scored its two runs in the ninth inning on a two-RBI triple by designated hitter Jarrod Watkins with two outs. However, Watkins was left on base after Sullivan struck out to end the game.

“We’ve made some adjustments in our lineup,” Jaksa said. “I think some guys challenged themselves a little bit and bought into the approach that we need to have in order to be successful. The preparation of the approach is really important for a hitter. We didn’t think we quite had the edge (against St. Joseph’s) that we wanted. That would’ve been the only disappointment over the last four games.”

CMU plays next on Tuesday as they travel to Bowling Green for a non-Mid-American Conference matchup and will then head to Xavier for a weekend series starting Friday.

“We need to continue to make sure that we do the things consistently that we need to do,” Jaksa said. “We’re always excited to play in front of our home crowd.”