Men's basketball to play Bowling Green in MAC Tournament quarterfinals Thursday

The Central Michigan men's basketball team has a Mid-American Conference Tournament quarterfinal opponent.

Bowling Green defeated Kent State 70-69 on Monday. The Falcons were led by senior forward Spencer Parker’s 18 points. Junior guard Wes Alcegaire added 14 points

CMU received the No. 4 seed in the MAC Tournament. It plays No. 12 Bowling Green at Quicken Loans in Cleveland on Thursday afternoon.

The Falcons finished 14-17 in the regular season (5-13 in the MAC). They topped the No. 5 Golden Flashes for the first time in three tries during the 2015-16 season. Kent State jumped out to a 39-32 halftime lead before BGSU stormed back.

CMU downed Bowling Green twice this season, winning 79-67 in Ohio on Jan. 9 and 77-65 at McGuirk Arena on Jan. 30. CMU junior guard Braylon Rayson dropped 27 points in the first matchup, while senior guard Chris Fowler poured in a season-high 27 points in the second meeting.

Parker combined for 28 points in the two games versus CMU, while redshirt freshman forward Rasheed Worrell totaled 25.

The Chippewas are 12-8 against Bowling Green since 2000. CMU is 33-49 in the all-time series versus the Golden Flashes.

The Falcons are led by Parker and junior guards Zack Denny and Alcegaire, who each average double figures. Parker leads the team with 14.3 points per game entering Monday and was named an All-MAC Honorable Mention on Monday.

Bowling Green is coached by Michael Huger, who is in his first season at Bowling Green and is seeking his first win against CMU.

The matchup will be the second game of the day on Thursday. The first game will be played at noon and feature No. 1 Akron and either No. 9 Toledo or No. 8 Eastern Michigan. CMU and BGSU will square off 30 minutes after the conclusion of the noon game.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →