Guevara earns MAC Coach of the Year, Hudson named Freshman of the Year

wbball_03
Coach Sue Guevara speaks with freshmen guard Presley Hudson during the game against Akron at McGuirk Arena, Saturday, Jan. 23, 2016.

The Mid-American Conference named women's basketball Head Coach Sue Guevara as MAC Coach of the Year and freshman guard Presley Hudson as MAC Freshman of the Year on Tuesday.

After being predicted to finish fifth in the conference during the preseason, Guevara led the Chippewas to their second MAC West Division title in her nine-year tenure as CMU's head coach. Additionally, she led the team, which features four underclassmen in its starting five, to a 20-9 overall record, 14-4 conference record and the No. 2 seed in the conference tournament. 

It is Guevara's first time being named to the honor.

Wayland, Michigan, native Hudson was named to the MAC Second Team on Monday and now is the first Chippewa to receive the Freshman of the Year Award since Niki DiGuilio in 2011. She is CMU's fourth player to receive the honor.  

The 5-foot-6 Hudson averaged a team-high 13.8 points per game. She has accounted for 401 points, 102 assists, 115 rebounds, 39 steals and 73 3-pointers in 977 minutes played this season. 

The Chippewas continue their season Wednesday against Western Michigan at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland in the second round of the MAC Tournament. 

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →