Annual powwow draws crowd from across North America

More than 200 dancers and roughly 56 singers from more than 20 tribes met and competed this weekend for the Celebrating Life 27th annual powwow in McGuirk Arena.

“We wanted to bring more culture to (Central Michigan University) and give knowledge of our Native American heritage, as well as bring the (local) community together and educate them about this part of their culture,” said Heather Syrette, president of CMU’s North American Indigenous Student Organization. “The powwow is a gathering for our Native American communities to see each other after the long winter.”

Tribes came from across North America, including some from Florida, California and parts of Canada.

A few of the dancers were CMU students who belong to the tribe.

“I come from a traditional family and was brought up dancing since I could walk,” said Kasey McCullough, a graduate student from Hannahville Indian Community. “I started dancing when I was young. It gives me a good feeling of belonging; dancing brings healing to not only oneself but to our family and community.”

Venders and merchants of many different kinds were at McGuirk Arena selling a variety of Native American made goods. Student volunteers and members of the North American Indigenous Student Organization made sure the event ran smoothly.

Escanaba junior Hannah Bartol has been working at the powwow since she was in high school at Hannahville Indian School.

“I do this to educate people on the culture of (my) people. We have tribes from across the country and so many different songs and dancers with such a unique heritage,” she said. “Kids start off (dancing) young and grow into their dances. As they grow, the dances become more elaborate and a more important part of their lives. I’d like to see more CMU students here to experience a part of local history and the heritage behind our name here.”

Dancers donned traditional as well as contemporary outfits, with no two participants dressed alike. Multiple generations of families – from grandparents to grandchildren – were present to participate.

Husband and wife Chase and CC Stevens have participated in powwows since they were children. Chase, their son Thomas, and two daughters Emma and Kyla, all were dressed to dance in the evening festivities.

“My husband and I have been growing up around (powwows) our whole lives,” said CC, a Mount Pleasant native. “It is our heritage and it is something we want our kids to grow up experiencing.”

CC sat in the stands with her mother, Mary Jackson, as they both tended to and prepped the children before they left to dance. Her father, Delmar Jackson Jr, was also dressed to dance.

The Grand Entry opens the powwow. All dancers come out in full dress as flag bearers, carrying not only the American flag, but flags of the tribes present at the powwow.

Kids and teenagers danced during the day along with the elders. Their competition lasted for around four hours. There was a three-hour break for dinner before the adults danced later in the night.

As the dancers came back from dinner on Saturday night, the 18 and up group prepared to take the stage. The dancers took the floor in full dress for another Grand Entry.

“I keep my family involved because it helps my children with having a sense of identity and keeping their tradition,” CC said. “It is important to pass down the culture to my children because it is a part of our own family history as well as the history of our tribe.”