Animation course to be offered in fall

In fall of 2016, an animation course will be available for students.

At recruiting events, a variety of students showed interest in taking animation and game design courses, said Larry Burditt, chairman of the department of art and design. Art and design department faculty members and computer science professor Anthony Morelli have been actively trying to implement these classes. 

“The (computer science) classes have a game design program of sorts, so we’re focusing on the animation modeling side of things,” Burditt said. “Hopefully there are areas where the two could overlap and collaborate for classes.”

College of Communication and Fine Arts Dean Janet Hethorn said animation connects a lot of different disciplines.

Burditt said more than likely, the overview of the animation course will be split into two segments: 2D and 3D design.

The animation professor position was posted last fall. There about 20 applicants. Ever since pre-screening for the applicants via skype and phone interviews. On Monday they will hold their first face-to-face interviews have been conducted. 

“I think everyone looks at being with Disney or Pixar in animation but that’s like shooting for the NFL,” said Burditt. 

Looking at the career field for animation, Burditt said most students will be geared toward advertising.