Rapid Reaction: IUPUI 63, Central Michigan 55

The Central Michigan women's basketball team ended its season with a 63-55 loss to Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis in the first round of the Women's National Invitation Tournament Wednesday at McGuirk Arena. 

CMU struggled to find its rhythm on offense and couldn't muster a comeback, finishing the season 22-11 overall. 

Cold shooting

After leading 12-9 at the end of the first quarter, CMU started the second quarter shooting 3-for-11, including 1-for-10 from the 3-point line. IUPUI outscored the Chippewas 21-11 taking a seven-point advantage into the break. CMU ended the half shooting 30 percent from the field. 

It was much of the same in the second half for CMU on the offensive end. The Chippewas saw several seemingly easy layups turn into misses stalling any chance to gain momentum. CMU finished the game shooting 31 percent from the field. 

Bench play

IUPUI's Akilah Sims came off of the bench to lead the Jaguars with 10 points in the first half on 5-for-7 shooting. IUPUI outscored CMU 19-5 in bench scoring in the first half. 

Sims stayed consistent in the second half finishing the contest with a game-high 24 points. The Jaguars outscored CMU 41-5 in bench scoring for the game. 

What it means

CMU managed to capture the Mid-American Conference West division crown after being picked to finish fifth in the preseason, and were two points shy in the MAC Tournament Championship. 

The Chippewas entered the year with two seniors and started two freshmen for most of the season. 

CMU failed to win a postseason game outside of the MAC tournament and dropped to 0-5 in postseason games all-time. 

Despite the loss, the team did surprise many and have put themselves in position to be a contender again in the conference next year. 

Game delay

The game was postponed in between the first and second quarter after paramedics were called to aid of a courtside official who needed medical attention. The delay lasted around 20 minutes. Both teams were allowed to warm up again before the start of the second quarter. 

Looking to next year

Although the 2015-16 campaign has come to an end, CMU returns 12 of 14 players, including four starters heading into next season.