Pair of baseball seniors suspended indefinitely, one leaves program

s_millard_baseball_msu_game_8922
Shannon Millard/Staff Photographer Freshmen Adam Aldred pitches during a game in May 2013 against Michigan State at Theunissen Stadium. CMU resumed its postponed "Clash at Comerica" game against MSU, losing 5-4.

The Central Michigan Athletics Department said Monday in an email to Central Michigan Life that senior pitcher Adam Aldred decided not to return to the baseball program after being suspended for disciplinary reasons.

According to the statement, Aldred made several allegations about the leadership of the program, which were forwarded to Faculty Personnel Services for review. The statement said the allegations were "without merit," so the complaints were dismissed.

Because it is a personnel matter, no additional comments were made by the Athletics Department.

"I didn't get along with the coach and left," Aldred said in a Facebook message to Central Michigan Life. "It was the best decision I've ever made. But I loved the first three years (with the team)."

Aldred, who last appeared in a game against Villanova on March 5, appeared in three games this year — all in relief situations — with an ERA of 9.39. He gave up nine runs (eight earned) in 7 2/3 innings pitched.

Aldred was 5-3 with a 3.49 ERA in 14 appearances with the Chippewas in 2015. He had the second most pitching starts on the team with 13.

Senior outfielder Logan Regnier has also been suspended indefinitely from the baseball team, the department said. His last game was also March 5 against Villanova. It is unclear if the two suspensions are related.

Regnier started the first nine games of the year, hitting .276 with 17 putouts and no errors. In 2015, Regnier hit .312 with a team-high 45 RBIs.

Aldred and Reginer finished first and second in the "Strikeout Cancer" home run derby on April 17. The event followed the softball team's annual "Pink Out Game" at Margo Jonker Stadium. Across the street, the baseball team fell to Ball State that same afternoon at Theunissen Stadium, 4-2.