Baseball drops first game of series against Eastern Michigan

For the third time this season, the Central Michigan baseball team dropped the first game of a three-game set versus a Mid-American Conference opponent.

The Chippewas fell to Eastern Michigan 6-1 on Friday in Ypsilanti. CMU drops to 11-31 overall and 5-8 in the MAC.

EMU (16-22, 7-6 MAC) is now two games ahead of the Chippewas in the MAC West Division standings. CMU is tied with Western Michigan for fourth place in the division.

“We should have had that disposition tonight," said Head Coach Steve Jaksa. "We knew we were one game behind them tonight. Where we are motivation-wise, we are in the same place tonight. We need to get out there and tie up the series tomorrow.”

The Chippewas notched their only run in the fourth inning. Sophomore left fielder Daniel Jipping singled off EMU's Michael Marsinek to lead off the inning and advanced to second base on a groundout by freshman right fielder Daniel Robinson. After a single by freshman second baseman Jason Sullivan put runners on the corners, senior center fielder Ryan Heeke reached on an error to score Jipping to cut the deficit to 2-1.

Marsinek struck out five Chippewas on one run in six innings.

“In a game you have to understand that the plan you have versus that pitcher, you have to execute it one through nine," Jaksa said. "Your hitters have to execute the plan. When they execute it, they become tougher outs, they have better at-bats and they wear that guy down.”

CMU had the bases loaded with nobody out in the seventh. After an EMU pitching change, sophomore shortstop Zach McKinstry flied out to left field and EMU's Sam Delaplane struck out Jipping and freshman center fielder Dazon Cole to end the threat.

“I don’t ever expect to make three straight outs with the bases loaded. We had the right guys up there that didn’t get it done tonight. That’s the bottom line.”

The Eagles scored one run each in the first, second and fourth innings. They scored two runs in the sixth inning before adding one more in the eighth.

Junior first baseman Alex Borglin led the Chippewas offensively, going 3-for-4 with a walk. Jipping went 2-for-5 with a run scored.

The Chippewas were outhit by the Eagles 12-9. EMU committed two errors as opposed to one by CMU.

On the mound, senior right-handed pitcher Sean Renzi hurled six innings, surrendering five runs (four earned) on nine hits while walking three and striking out two. Junior southpaw Brady Williams struck out four in two innings of relief.

Jaksa said Renzi gave us his first career home run in the first inning to Mitchell McGeinn. He had the bases loaded with nobody out in the sixth inning before pitching out of the jam.

“That spoke a lot to the person and the character of Seany and the fact that he didn’t quit, the whole team didn’t quit," Jaksa said. 

Game two of the series is set for 3 p.m. Saturday. Junior left-handed pitcher Nick Deeg (2-6, 4.79 ERA) is expected to start for CMU.

“We’ve got to make sure we’re ready to go tomorrow," Jaksa said. "We’ve got to make sure we’re ready right from the opening bell and play a full game.”

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →