Rapid Reaction: Michigan State 7, Central Michigan 3

14-inning affair gives MSU first win against CMU at Comerica since 2012

DETROIT — From the eighth inning until the top of the 14th, no runs were scored for Central Michigan or Michigan State. That streak came to an end as senior relief pitcher Jimmy McNamara gave up four runs in the 14th after replacing junior reliever Jordan Grosjean.

After a two-RBI single, the Spartans had a sacrifice fly and an RBI single. Just like that, CMU gave up more runs in the 14th inning than the previous 13 innings.

Grosjean went four innings and gave up two hits and one walk. McNamara gave up four runs on three hits and a walk in 2/3 of an inning.

Unlike last year, the Chippewas were not able to rally in the ninth inning as the Spartans forced extra innings. CMU eventually fell to the Spartans 7-3 in the 14th inning.

Short of a ninth inning comeback

With the game tied 3-3 in the bottom of the ninth inning, those memories of last season rushed back into Comerica Park after junior catcher Robert Greenman led off the inning with a single to left-center field. After a sacrifice bunt by junior first baseman Alex Borglin, sophomore shortstop Zach McKinstry was intentionally walked after a 2-for-4 night.

Sophomore left fielder Daniel Jipping grounded out to third base and advanced the runners to second and third. On an 0-2 count, freshman right fielder Daniel Robinson roped a line drive, where the leaping MSU second baseman ended any chance of another ninth-inning rally.

More opportunities for Robinson

Three and a half hours after the first pitch, the Chippewas had two runners on with two outs in the bottom of the 11th inning.

With two outs, Borglin bunted his way onto first base. After the second intentional walk of the night to McKinstry, a pass ball allowed the two runners to move up one base. Jipping was walked and up came left fielder Daniel Robinson with the bases loaded.

Two innings prior, he ended the inning with a line out to the second baseman with two outs.

This time up, he lined out to the shortstop on a 3-2 count.

In the 13th inning, Robinson had another chance with two outs and two men on base. With the game-winning run 180 feet away, Robinson grounded out to the shortstop to end the threat.

Controlling Cole’s pitches

As freshman pitcher Dazon Cole threw the first pitch of the game, all of the memories from last year's ninth inning comeback faded and the 2016 Clash at Comerica began, as fans of the Spartans and Chippewas poured into the ballpark the Detroit Tigers call home for 81 games per year.

In Cole’s first start of the season last Wednesday, he threw five innings and allowed one hit and four walks. With his command off, he pitched five innings for the second start in a row. He struck out one.

After 88 pitches, Cole was replaced by sophomore pitcher Colton Bradley, who gave up a lead-off double on his first pitch, but did not allow a walk or hit in the rest of his two innings pitched.

Same face, new place

Senior third baseman/pitcher Morgan OIiver was in a crucial role once again at the end of the game Wednesday as the Chippewas were tied 3-3. Instead of coming in to hit like he did last year, when he started and ended the rally in the ninth, Oliver was on the mound for the eighth and ninth inning pitching in relief.

Oliver replaced Bradley in the top of the eighth inning and struck out the side for the Chippewas.

In the ninth, MSU pinch hitter Chad Roskelly drove a ball to deep left field right in front of the MSU bullpen. Left fielder Daniel Jipping's back was against the wall and made the catch. Oliver was able to get the next two batters to fly out and kept the Chippewas in the game.

Leaving runners on base

In the first meeting with the Spartans this season, the Chippewas left 10 men on base. In last year’s Clash at Comerica, they also left 10 men on base. The Chippewas left 13 men on base on Wednesday, including three in the 11th and two in the 13th.

However, the Spartans also left 12 runners on base, including two in the first inning and two in the third.

What’s next

CMU returns home this Friday to take on the Ball State Cardinals for a three-game series. First pitch on Friday is at 3:05 p.m.