Greeks pledge to raise $55,000 during Greek Week

main_greek
Central Michigan University students create notes of positivity to hand out on campus during the Greek Week Day of Service on April 16 in the Bovee University Center.

Derrick Nash was a Central Michigan University football player who passed away in June after a two-year battle with acute lymphoblastic leukemia.

Almost a year later, Greek Week 2016 will uphold his legacy by raising money for the Derrick Nash Strong foundation. The goal is to raise roughly $55,000, after raising more than $50,000 for the Angel Wings foundation during last year's Greek Week.

The foundation is a non-profit organization that aims to help the financial needs of families with acute or chronically ill children. Greek Week is a week-long series of events where Greek organizations compete against each other to raise money for a chosen foundation.

"There's many families who have to make the heart-wrenching decision to go to work to provide for their home or be with their loved one while they stay in the hospital room," according to the foundation's website. “It takes a village to raise a child, and a small army to raise a sick child."

The theme of the week is movie soundtracks.

The week kicks off April 10 with an all-Greek Life picture in McGuirk Arena. Check in begins at 5:30 p.m. with photos being taken at 6 p.m. April 11 features a guest speaker from the Derrick Nash Foundation at 7 p.m. in the Plachta Auditorium in Warriner Hall.

“Greek Week means the Greek community coming together to raise money and awareness for the cause,” said Northville senior Ellen Leary.

Check in for the athletics games begins at 5:30 p.m. on April 12, with the games beginning at 6 p.m.

Students can attend Local Business Day, where money will be donated to the foundation for purchases at Insomnia Cookies, Panda Express, Las Senoritas and Tropical Smoothie.

“During Greek Week we spend a lot of time at events just having fun with a little friendly competition,” said Warren junior Triston Wyer. “Every night each chapter spends hours on end practicing for mock rock which is a lot of work. Each chapter works hard and ultimately our goal is to raise more money and awareness each year.”

From noon to 4 p.m. on April 14 is Service Day, where several locations in the Bovee University Center feature community service-oriented events. 

At 6 p.m. on April 15 is Mock Rock, where sororities and fraternities participate in rehearsed dance-offs. Tickets are $5. 

“I was a dancer my whole life so doing something like this is just my thing and you spend so much time with your sorority and fraternity so you get to know them even better than you did before and working so hard together really brings you closer,” Wyer said.