Former CMU defensive back Frazier drafted by Cowboys in NFL Draft

2015_1003_fooballniu_greg091
Greg Cornwell | Staff Photographer Senior defensive back Kavon Frazier celebrates after a 29-19 victory over Northern Illinois Oct. 3 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

After years of dreaming of a shot to play in the National Football League, Kavon Frazier finally received the phone call he had been waiting for his entire life. 

The Dallas Cowboys selected the former Central Michigan defensive back with the 212th pick in the sixth round, making him the ninth CMU player drafted into the NFL since 2005. 

The first two days of the 2016 NFL Draft went by without seeing a player from the Mid-American Conference be taken by any of the 32 teams. 

But day three — rounds four through seven — saw Frazier, as well as four other MAC players selected. 

Frazier saw playing time early at CMU as he played in all 13 games his freshman season in 2012. His first career start was against Michigan State on Sept. 8, and his first career interception — which was returned 49 yards for a touchdown — came against Eastern Michigan on Nov. 10. 

Frazier started all 13 games for the Chippewas in 2015. His career stats include 269 total tackles, five tackles for loss, two forced and recovered fumbles, 16 pass deflections and five interceptions, including three in 2013.

Frazier missed this year’s combine with an injured foot, but was able to participate during CMU’s pro day last month. 

The Grand Rapids native joins a Cowboys' defense that was ranked fifth in the league in pass defense.  Because of his size and tackling ability, Frazier has a chance to make an immediate impact on special teams.

Frazier will join a Cowboys’ roster that includes safeties J.J. Wilcox, Byron Jones, Berry Church and Danny McCary. NFL.com compared Frazier’s game to Church.