Lacrosse falls to Furman 16-11

In its second Atlantic Sun Conference matchup, Central Michigan lacrosse lost 16-11 to Furman in Greenville, N.C. Friday.

CMU (3-6, 0-2 A-Sun) has lost four straight games. Their last victory was on March 13 against Virginia Commonwealth at home.

Midfielder Jocelyn Lemay led the team with five goals on eight shots. Lemay holds a team-high of 22 goals in the 2016 season.

Furman’s Kasie Lilly scored the first goal of the game at 24:37. The Paladins led 4-0 until Anna Schoonover scored the first goal for CMU at 19:48.

Lemay scored CMU’s second goal with 13 minutes left in the half, assisted by Schoonover. Goalkeeper Dominique Hamman saved three shots, holding FUR at a 2-point lead until the last five minutes.

Abby Shields scored for the Paladins twice, once at 4:37 and again with five seconds left.

The score was 6-2 at halftime.

CMU gave up a goal less than a minute into the second half. Schoonover scored her second goal of the game at 28:53, assisted by Riley Huda.

In the next 20 minutes, Lemay scored three more goals for the Chippewas and the Paladins scored six times. Summer Abdalla scored with nine minutes left, her 12th recorded goal of the season. Furman responded with three more, making the score 16-7.

With less than four minutes left to play, CMU scored four goals. Logan Halvorson scored two, Lemay and Schoonover scored one each.

CMU will play a nonconference game in Clinton, S.C. against Presbyterian Sunday. On Friday, April 15, the team will play Jacksonville at home.

About McKenzie Sanderson

McKenzie Sanderson is the Sports Editor at Central Michigan Life. She is a senior at Central ...

View Posts by McKenzie Sanderson →