Lacrosse falls 13-9 at Kennesaw State

After picking up its first conference win against Stetson on Sunday, the Central Michigan lacrosse team lost at Kennesaw State Friday.

The Chippewas, now 1-4 in the Atlantic Sun Conference and 5-8 overall, fell 13-9 overall with the loss to the Owls at Fifth Third Bank Stadium.

"Kennesaw had a great game plan," Head Coach Sara Tisdale said. "They executed for 60 minutes and we just saw a lot of our mistakes get the best of us and in the end we couldn't overcome those unfortunately."

CMU won 17 of the 24 draws, but Kennesaw State (5-9, 3-3 A-Sun) forced 15 turnovers and led 22-14 in shots.

"I think it's a lack of confidence in ourselves and decision making," Tisdale said about the turnovers. "I trust them. It's a matter of buying in and (having) that belief that we can do that."

Freshmen midfielders Riley Huda and Summer Abdalla led CMU’s offense with three goals each. Huda scored a hat trick by halftime.

Freshmen midfielders Logan Halvorson, Jocelyne Lemay and Anna Schoonover each added a goal for the Chippewas.

Owl attacker Olivia Hokanson led the KSU offense with four goals.

The game was tied  9-9 with less than 16:00 left to play, but three consecutive KSU goals at 5:25, 2:36 and 1:12 put away CMU’s hopes.

"We got a couple of stops and were trying to move the ball into the offensive zone, but you saw players make uncharacteristic mistakes and turnover the ball," Tisdale said. "That hurts when you have to go back and play defense for two or three minutes after you worked hard is hard for any team, let alone a team of all first-year players."

The Chippewas will play Mercer (6-9, 3-3 A-Sun) Sunday in Macon, Georgia. The Bears beat KSU 13-5 on the road on April 10.      

About McKenzie Sanderson

McKenzie Sanderson is the Sports Editor at Central Michigan Life. She is a senior at Central ...

View Posts by McKenzie Sanderson →