University warns employees of tax fraud

logo

The Office of Information Technology sent an email today informing Central Michigan University staff and faculty that several employees had their taxes filed fraudulently. 

"Upon attempting to file taxes electronically this year, a number of CMU employees have discovered their taxes have already been filed by someone else, and their returns are being rejected by the IRS," the email says.

Chief Information Security Officer Mark Herron and Travel Services Manager Sara Yonkey have been investigating the issue since the first incident was reported over a week ago.

At least 30 cases of tax fraud have been reported by CMU employees, Herron said. 

OIT said they have found no evidence of a system compromise or unauthorized access to CMU systems.

"This problem is not unique to CMU," the email reads. "A number of universities have reported similar fraudulent activity targeting their employees and the IRS is working directly with affected individuals to correct their tax filings." 

CMU employees reported learning of the false tax filings when trying to file their own tax information through services such as TurboTax and eFile. Biology faculty member Brad Swanson said he had his taxes filed fraudulently during the Academic Senate meeting Wednesday. 

OIT encouraged anyone who has been a target of tax fraud to contact the CMU Payroll Office at 989-774-3481.