RedHawks ends CMU's three-game winning streak Friday in Mount Pleasant

Riding its first three-game winning streak of the season, and winning five of their last six, the Central Michigan baseball team began a three-game weekend series against the Miami (Ohio) RedHawks.

CMU’s three-game winning streak came to an end on Friday as the RedHawks scored four runs in the ninth inning to lift them to a 7-3 victory. CMU's record is now 16-34 and 8-11 in the Mid-American Conference, while Miami (Ohio) is 23-24 and 12-7 in MAC play.

The game remained tied from the third inning until the top of the ninth when the RedHawks took a 7-4 lead after an RBI single followed by a three-run home run. All four RedHawk runs in the ninth were with two outs. 

CMU senior starting pitcher Sean Renzi gave up all seven runs, finishing the game with 141 pitches through nine innings. He gave up 12 hits, three walks and recorded eight strikeouts.  

The senior from Plainfield, Illinois pitched himself into several jams early in the game. The RedHawks scored a run in the second inning and two runs in the third inning to make it a 3-0 game. He gave up six hits up to that point.

The Chippewas scored all three of their runs in the third inning. Junior catcher Robert Greenman started the third with a fly out, but the next five Chippewas were able to get on base. CMU scored on an RBI single by freshman outfielder Dazon Cole, a pass ball by Miami pitcher Gus Graham and a sacrifice fly by freshman right fielder Daniel Robinson.

The Chippewas will continue their three-game series against the RedHawks on Saturday at 2:05 p.m at Theunissen Stadium.