CMU alumnus Dick Enberg to call play-by-play for Detroit Tigers on Saturday

After a 60-year career in sports broadcasting, Central Michigan University alumnus Dick Enberg is calling it quits after the 2016 season. Enberg will make one more professional appearance in his home state of Michigan on Saturday.

Born in Mount Clemens and raised at 33 Mile and North Avenue in Armada, Enberg, 81, will call play-by-play during the Detroit Tigers' home game against the Tampa Bay Rays on Saturday. He will be joined by Kirk Gibson on Fox Sports Detroit.

After serving most of his career on the West Coast, most recently calling play-by-play in San Diego as the voice of the Padres', Enberg announced his retirement on Sept. 23, 2015. In a statement released by the team, Enberg expressed his gratitude and hope for the Padres' organization.

"In culminating 60 years of sports broadcasting, it has been a tremendous thrill to be the TV voice of my hometown San Diego Padres, and I'm tremendously excited that I will have a continuing TV role through the 2016 season, an All-Star Game year for San Diego. Our family is sincerely grateful to Padres ownership, Ron Fowler and Peter and Tom Seidler, and CEO Mike Dee for providing the opportunity for an extension through 2016. While I have decided that 2016 will be my last as the primary play-by-play announcer, I will always be a Padre, and look forward to a continuing role. Ultimately, with high hopes I'll be one of the many in line that will someday soon embrace a World Series championship in San Diego." 

Enberg graduated from CMU summa cum laude in 1957. He served as the student body president, beginning his broadcasting career as an undergraduate student. He has won 14 Emmy Awards and is in the National Broadcaster's and Academic All America Hall of Fame. He was named the National Sportscaster of the Year 15 times.

The Dick Enberg Academic Center in the Indoor Athletic Complex is named in his honor.

Saturday's game begins at 4:10 p.m. at Comerica Park.

"I haven't done a game at the new ballpark," Enberg said of Comerica in an interview with the Detroit News. "Just to reflect on my memories as a Tiger fan and the players that inspired me ... It's a typical farewell, no matter what your job. All of a sudden, people like you more."

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →