Lacrosse falls to Old Dominion 17-8 in final game of the season

The Central Michigan lacrosse team dropped its last game of its inaugural season Sunday at home, falling to Old Dominion 17-8.

Freshman goalkeeper Dominique Hamman recorded 14 saves, increasing her overall record to 117 saves in the 2016 season.

“A lot of the saves are credited to the defense,” Hamman said. “Personally, I’ve learned that being a goalie is a very mental game and I think I’ve grown and matured mentally by learning to let things go and adjust as the game goes on.”

Freshman midfielder Jocelyn Lemay scored the only goal for the Chippewas in the first half, assisted by Sydney Wright. The Monarchs scored nine, leading by eight goals at halftime.

“We weren’t being aggressive in the first half,” Head Coach Sara Tisdale said. “We had equal possessions to start the game. For (ODU’s) four goals we had four possessions and four opportunities and we were just gun shy.”

Less than a minute into the second half, Kaitlin Kimble scored for the Chippewas followed by a goal from Anna Schoonover at 27:19 to make the score 3-9.

ODU responded with a goal from Megan Topper. Three minutes later, Lemay scored her 35th recorded goal of the season and Riley Huda scored her first of the game, 15th of the season.

Midfielder Summer Abdalla scored two of the last three goals for CMU and Schoonover contributed one. The Monarchs scored seven more to win the game.

“We made small changes in the second half,” Schoonover said. “We had a little motivation in the first few minutes, we connected our passes, continued to move the ball like we normally do and we finished strong.”

The Chippewas finished 6-10 overall and 2-6 in the Atlantic Sun Conference. They sit in seventh place out of the nine teams in the A-Sun, just missing the opportunity to play in the conference tournament.

“We’re sorely disappointed that our season is ending here today,” Tisdale said. “There were tears and a lot of emotion, and we know that it takes a full year effort to get to that point and nothing comes easy.”

About McKenzie Sanderson

McKenzie Sanderson is the Sports Editor at Central Michigan Life. She is a senior at Central ...

View Posts by McKenzie Sanderson →