Softball advances to MAC Tournament with win over Northern Illinois

With a series win against Mid-American Conference West champion Northern Illionois, the Central Michigan softball team secured a place in the conference postseason tournament on Saturday.

CMU split a doubleheader with the Huskies Friday with a chance to control their own fate coming into today’s game in DeKalb.

Senior first baseman Katelyn Rentschler powered the Chippewas’ offense with a three-RBI performance in her final regular season game.

“We scored runs the way Chippewa softball scores runs — someone getting on (base), someone moving the runners and getting the key hit,” Head Coach Margo Jonker said. “It was a really good ball game.”

Senior second baseman Chelsea DeLamielleure had a productive day at the plate, reaching in all four of her at-bats to set the table.

“(Chelsea) had a great game going 4-for-4, Rentschler had a great game with three RBI and getting the key hits for us,” Jonker said.

Junior pitcher Rachael Knapp earned CMU a victory for the second day in a row, striking out five batters while allowing one run in seven innings pitched.

The Huskies only run came in the seventh inning on a solo home run from freshman Abby Howlett.

The Chippewas struck first on offense when junior catcher Danielle Marlink hit a double to score the game’s first run.

“Marlink was seeing a lot of action recently for us, but she came through with a big RBI, which was a key,” Jonker said.

CMU finishes with a record of 24-25-1 (11-11-1 MAC), which secures it the eighth and final spot in the MAC Tournament.

In last year’s tournament, the Chippewas entered as the fourth seed and took third place, falling to Western Michigan in the semifinals.

“I don’t think you have expectations at this point in time. I think you just have to work hard to make every pitch count whether you’re on defense or on offense,” Jonker said.

CMU will begin MAC Tournament play on May 11 in Akron, Ohio.