CMU reaches tentative agreement with UAW, ratification meeting scheduled for June 13

Central Michigan University has reached a tentative agreement on a new three-year collective bargaining agreement with United Auto Workers Local 6888, the union representing the university's office professionals.

The collective bargaining agreement is a legally binding contract between the university and the UAW. The current agreement is scheduled to end June 30. The university and UAW met numerous times over the last two months to negotiate a successor agreement that, if ratified, will last from 2016 to 2019.

If ratified by the university and the bargaining unit, the agreement will become effective July 1 and will expire June 30, 2019.

A ratification meeting is scheduled for noon on June 13 in the Bovee University Center at noon. The meeting is to help share information prior to conducting a vote on the contract. A second session has been scheduled for 4 p.m. the same day at the local UAW offices across from campus for those unable to attend the noon session.

The UAW 6888 is located at 1205 S. Mission St.

For more information, contact the director of employee relations, Kevin Smart at (989) 774-6447 or Kevin.Smart@cmich.edu.

Correction: This article originally stated "the union representing the Department of Human Resource." It was changed to state "the union representing the university's office professionals."