3rd annual Craft Beer Festival brings hundreds to Downtown Mount Pleasant on Saturday

With blue skies, warm weather and a breeze, vendors at the Mount Pleasant Craft Beer Festival began serving patrons at 3 p.m. Saturday afternoon in downtown's "Jockey Alley."

In the festival's third summer, more than 30 breweries and wineries distributed samples of their best alcoholic summer drinks to patrons from around mid-Michigan.

Dan Gilligan, founder and owner of Boatyard Brewing Co. out of Kalamazoo, said Mount Pleasant's festival, hosted by the Mount Pleasant Jaycees, is one of the most well put together festival he's been to.

"They take care of the people who are bringing in the beer and the people attending the festival," he said. "Some (festivals) aren’t put together quite as well as this one. There's a lot of small town attitude that goes on here and it’s really, really Michigan. It’s really just a great place to be."

Boatyard Brewing Co. will celebrate its two-year anniversary later this June. Gilligan was sampling his company's double IPA called "Lake Effect." He said it’s a malt forward double IPA with an alcohol content around 9.8 percent, but tastes like 2.2 percent.

"It’s a very light on the tongue sort of a feel, but its got a hell of a wallop," Gilligan said.

The Kalamazoo-based brewery owner expressed his appreciation for the festival and City of Mount Pleasant.

"They do nothing but great work for this whole thing and I love this community," Gilligan said. "Everywhere I’ve been – all the stores, bars and restaurants — everybody seems like they’re all part of the same community. I really love this part of Michigan."

GALLERY: The Mount Pleasant Craft Beer Festival 

Mount Pleasant Jaycee member and festival co-chair Bryan Wieferich said volunteers began setting up at 6 a.m. Saturday and likely won't be done cleaning up until midnight.

Despite being one of the Craft Beer Festival's main organizers, Wieferich does not drink, he said, but will occasionally drink a hard cider if he does. Wieferich said the Jaycees will take July off, before beginning planning for next year's festival.

"The festival is really big for our downtown," he said. "You can't keep everybody happy. Not every business loves the fact we're kind of shutting streets down. But not many complain because we bring 1,200 to 1,500 patrons to down who walk around. The restaurant and bar scene is a little more hopping."

Debbie Gault and Deanna Apple of Shepherd and Alma respectively had VIP tickets which allowed them to enter the gates at 3 p.m. But the two said they came an hour late because of the heat. Apple said they were meeting up with a group of friends and family and planned to spend the evening there.

"I didn't know they were going to have wine and that's kind of nice because I like to try wine before I buy it," Gault said about her favorite selections.

Festival organizer Rachel Blizzard said this year's goal was to diversify the festival's drink selections. In addition to breweries that produce IPAs and stouts, Blizzard said this year's festival will also feature meads and ciders. The newest addition to the festival, she said, is wine.

"The feedback from the first festival was everyone wanted more ciders, so we added more ciders," Blizzard said. "The feedback last year was everyone wanted wine, so we said 'why not.' We try to cater to our patrons. It's a philanthropic event. We want people coming and being happy about being there and giving back to the community."

With all the influx of people downtown, Max and Emily's Eatery manager Ian Kieft said he's witnessed the festival's growth since it's first summer.

"We have a pretty good reputation downtown. A lot of people come down here for us, but it's really good to see more and more people coming for these events," he said. "(The festival) has definitely grown. There's a lot more vendors here this year than two summers ago."

Proceeds from the event are given to local non-profit organizations such as Mount Pleasant Child & Family Enrichment and Foster Closet of Michigan.

The Mount Pleasant Jaycees have granted more than $33,000 to community organizations since the event began in 2014 – more than $15,000 in 2014 and more than $18,000 in 2015.

“This is a fun event for Michigan craft beer enthusiasts and the Mount Pleasant area residents, and our local non-profit organizations benefit. It is a win-win,” Wieferich said. “By offering more cider and wine, we hope the event will appeal to even more people.”

Tickets cost $25 at the door. The festival ends at 9 p.m. Saturday evening.

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →