SOMI powerlifter deadlifts 660 pounds, sets 'unofficial' world record

In the second day of the Special Olympics Michigan 2016 Summer Games, one SOMI athlete set two new "unofficial" Special Olympics world records.

Plymouth native James Ellison, 24, deadlifted 660 pounds on Friday in the Student Activity Center.

SOMI Public Relations Director and Special Olympics USA Communications Director Aaron Mills called it an "unofficial" record. He said Special Olympics does not keep official records for all of its competitions in ever country. Ellison's deadlift weight and combined weight are more than any records at the Special Olympics World Games.

"I said, 'I don't know if I can get this,'" Ellison said about his final lift. "But then something just clicked. I was like, 'You can do this. You wanted this. doesn't keep official records for all of its competitions across the world in ever country. You can get this. You're not going to quit, push, push, push,' and I got it."

Ellison said he began powerlifting when he was 16, after he found out how strong he was during high school football practices. He did not lift during his senior year of high school, fearing the health problems he experienced during childhood might return.

In the first years of his life, Ellison battled strokes, seizures and a coma.

"They said I died for a few minutes," he said. "The doctors said I was supposed to be a complete vegetable. I wouldn't be able to walk or do any of that stuff. I had to prove them wrong."

By visualizing himself lifting the weight in his head, Ellison said he was able to lock out the final part of the motion. He said he wasn't thinking about the 660 pounds. The lift never changes, despite the amount of weight.

"I don't even look at the number. I don't do anything (different)." he said. "I just say, 'I'm going to pull this no matter what the weight is. I just got to pull it.'"

Looking back at when he first began lifting, Ellison said technique and coaching allowed him to rapidly progress.

"I couldn't even bench or squat the bar because I didn't have the techniques down," he said after his record-setting lift. "Once I got that technique down, I skyrocketed. That's what really (helps) you, is the technique. If you have one little mishap with those big weights, you're going to go down." 

Correction: This article did not originally state Ellison's records were unofficial. 

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →