Arbitrator rules in favor of CMU

ccfa

The arbitrator for the case between Central Michigan University and the CMU Faculty Association, has ruled in favor of the university over the decision to not reappoint former CMU faculty member Sara Kubik.

The CMU Faculty Association claimed CMU violated its contract with the union when they did not reappoint Kubik in 2014 and did not grant her a tenure clock delay for her pregnancy. The University voted to not reappoint Kubik in September 2014, Kubik left the university last May. 

A lawsuit filed by Kubik will continue despite the decision.

Kubik filed a federal lawsuit in U.S. District Court against CMU and several staff members in June 2015. The lawsuit is a separate case, determining whether or not she was discriminated against by CMU.  

Kubick says she is a victim of sexual discrimination, pregnancy discrimination and retaliation. Those named in the lawsuit include former College of Communication and Fine Arts Interim Dean Shelly Hinck, former Journalism Department Chair Maria Marron, journalism faculty members Lori Brost and Tim Boudreau and the CMU Board of Trustees. Boudreau is the faculty representative for Central Michigan Life's Student Publication Board.

Read: Discrimination lawsuit against university to go to trial in October

Kubik requested time off and a tenure clock extension in 2013 under the Family & Medical Leave Act during her pregnancy. Kubik claims Marron engaged in harassment by contacting her about work matters, discussing Kubik's personal information with other faculty, refusing to give her priority in scheduling classes, and denying Kubik's tenure extension.

In September 2013 the journalism department voted not to reappoint Kubik, but was overturned by former CCFA Dean Salma Ghanem. The department voted again in 2014 to not reappoint Kubik.