CMU baseball's Zach McKinstry signs deal with Dodgers, forgoes final two seasons in Mount Pleasant

After being selected in the 33rd round of the MLB Draft last month by the Los Angeles Dodgers, former Central Michigan shortstop Zach McKinstry has decided to forgo his final two seasons with the Chippewas and begin his professional baseball career. 

The details of McKinstry's deal is unknown.

CMU pitchers Nick Deeg and Sean Renzi were also taken in last month's draft. Deeg, a junior, must also decide whether he wants to forgo his final season to sign with the San Francisco Giants. Renzi, who graduated in May, was drafted by the Chicago White Sox in the 32nd round. 

McKinstry led the Chippewas in batting average (.325), hits (79), on-base percentage (.415) and stolen bases (12) last season.

"It was so hard (deciding)," McKinstry told WANE-TV in Indiana. "I had my coaches on one side telling me one thing and they were trying to get me to come back. Then the Dodgers on the other hand offering me money to come play for them — I mean that was kind of hard."

The Fort Wayne, Ind. native started at shortstop in all 61 games during the 2016 season. He also started in 56-of-57 games during his freshman year in 2015. He had a .317 batting average his freshman season, the second-highest on the team.

McKinstry will have a physical taken in Arizona, play there for a week and will have his progress determined after that. His hopes are to make the Dodgers' single-A affiliate, the Great Lakes Loons, by the end of the year. The Loons are located in Midland. 

McKinstry is the second Chippewa to leave the team this summer. Former Chippewa pitcher Grant Wolfram announced last week he was transferring to Davenport University.