Fidel Castro's daughter to speak on campus in September

Fidel Castro's daughter is scheduled to speak on campus Sept. 28 as a part of Hispanic Heritage Month.

"I always try to find interesting and relevant speakers to have on campus that will bring out students, faculty and staff," said Cultural Programming Coordinator and Assistant Director of the Multicultural Academic Student Services D'Wayne Jenkins.

The speaker, Alina Fernandez, is known for being critical about the government of Cuba, where she lived until 1993.

Fernandez is set to be the keynote speaker for the month of events at 7 p.m. in the Bovee University Center rotunda. Hispanic History Month is coordinated by the Multicultural Academic Student Services Office along with other departments and organizations across campus.

Hispanic Heritage Month calendar of events:

Sept. 14

-Hispanic Heritage Month Documentary Showing: “Latino Americans” at noon in the Center for Inclusion and Diversity

-“Ceremonial Origins of Salsa” at 7 p.m.; location: TBD

Sept. 15
-Latino Faculty and Staff Meet and Greet at 6:30 p.m. at the Center for Inclusion and Diversity

Sept. 21
-Hispanic Heritage Month Food Taster from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Wesley Foundation
$5 for students and general public

Sept. 22

-Hispanic Heritage Month Movie Showing: “Walkout” at 8 p.m. at the Wesley Foundation

Sept. 27
-Soup and Substance at noon at the Bovee University Terrace Rooms A-D

Sept. 28

-Hispanic Heritage Month Keynote Speaker: Alina Fernandez at 7 p.m. at the Bovee University Center Rotunda

Sept. 29

-Hispanic Heritage Month Movie Showing: “Spare Parts” at 8 p.m. at the Wesley Foundation

Oct. 7

-CMU Latino Alumni Panel at noon in th Bovee University Center Lakeshore Room Location: Lakeshore Room

Oct. 13
-Bailá! at 6:30pm in the Student Activities Center MAC Gym #1

The schedule could potentially be updated or changed.

About Kate Carlson

Editor-in-Chief Kate Carlson is a senior from Lapeer who is majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Kate Carlson →