SGA to meet tonight, calls for senator positions to be filled

Students will have the ability to represent academic colleges and organizations if they run for a senate position at the first Student Government Association meeting of the year.

At 7 p.m. Monday, Sept. 19 in the Bovee University Center Rotunda, SGA will have a general meeting to introduce the new school year and approve a budget.

They also will be hosting emergency senate elections and ask members what kind of culture they want to see in the future of SGA.

SGA is a voice for students to promote change in university administration policy. One of their most well-known achievements was the creation of Gentle Thursday and Friday, established in the 1960s. They have also extended library hours and increased campus program funding.

Student Body President Ian Elliott said SGA is for all class standings who are passionate about making a difference and wishes to take on the responsibility of being a leader on campus.

“All I need is students interested in making CMU a better place,” Elliott said. “I wish we had (more) freshmen. No one brings a fresher perspective.”

SGA is made up of two bodies: a house of representatives, which represents many of the Registered Student Organizations on campus, and a senate where students are elected to represent different departments and academic groups.

The organization draft bills that, if passed by both bodies, are put before the administration for approval. If CMU officials approve of a bill, it has the potential to become university policy.