Notebook: Bonamego avoids rivalry hype, focuses on football

18883_football_4f

Central Michigan and Western Michigan football teams line up before a play during a game on Nov. 22, 2014 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Central Michigan's 7 p.m. matchup against rival Western Michigan on Saturday is one of the most anticipated games between the two schools in recent history, but Chippewas' head coach John Bonamego wants his team to focus on the game — not the hype.

CMU (3-1) comes into the game  following its first loss of the season last Saturday against Virginia. The undefeated Broncos have already defeated two Big Ten opponents this season. Although it's the first week of conference play, Saturday's game has Mid-American Conference West Division title implications.

Rivalry Week

Bonamego acknowledged the importance of this week's contest, but was more focused on the football side of things rather than the rivalry.

"We open up MAC play against a rival," he said. "Not only are they a rival, they are a team that's 4-0 and has defeated two Big Ten teams and is a preseason (MAC Coaches Poll) favorite."

The intensity at practice has picked up this week with the Broncos coming to town.

"At the end of it, it only counts as one game," Bonamego said. "If we have goals of winning the conference and winning the MAC West (Division), we have to perform and defeat Western this week."

WMU was picked as the preseason favorite to win the conference, and has received Associated Press Top 25 votes in each of the last two weeks. 

Strong Competition

WMU comes into the game boasting the best scoring offense, rushing totals and turnover margin in the conference.

In order to come away with a win on Saturday, CMU will have to slow down wide receiver Corey Davis, who is the active NCAA leader in career receiving yards. Running back Jamauri Bogan leads the team with 527 yards and five touchdowns with 5.9 yards per carry.

"They're executing very well," Bonamego said. "Western makes you defend the whole field and they're talented all the way across the board. We have to be very gap sound and take advantage of the opportunities when you get them."

Through four games, WMU's offense hasn't turned the ball over and is plus-seven in turnover margin.

Defensively, the Broncos are within the top four teams in the MAC in total defense, points allowed and first downs.

"They don't do a lot of things to beat themselves. That's what good football teams do," Bonamego said.

Injury Report

Injuries are beginning to pile up for the Chippewas. The team lost a number of starting players during last week's game against Virginia. 

The Chippewas played the game without starting senior safety Tony Annese, who Bonamego said is a game-time decision this week.

Wide receivers Jesse Kroll and Eric Cooper both suffered injuries against Virginia that require surgery. Both of their seasons are over.

Junior offensive lineman Derek Edwards will be out for a few weeks following a foot injury suffered last week. Redshirt freshman Steve Eipper will step in to start at right guard. 

Senior defensive lineman Mitch Stanitzek will also be out for this week's game. Bonamego said he may be weeks away from returning. 

CMU kicks off against WMU at 7 p.m. Saturday at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. The game is being broadcast on CBS Sports Network.